Group Student Point
A0001 Thomas 100
A0001 Sue 90
A0001 Chan 81
A0002 Ray 66
A0002 Jacky 67
A0003 Aaron 69
A1500 Gigi 78

In the above example, I would like to create data set for individual group...I could have 1500 groups.

Dataset A0001 should have student from A0001 only.

Can anyone help?
4 REPLIES 4
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Since you are posting this in the ODS and Base SAS Reporting forum -- there is an automated way to create output REPORTS (different from output DATASETS) using ODS and the NEWFILE= option. For example, if you ran a PROC PRINT using NEWFILE= BYGROUP:
[pre]
ods html file='bygrp1.html' newfile=bygroup style=sasweb;
proc print data=student;
by group;
run;
ods html close;
[/pre]

Then if you had 10 groups, the HTML reports for each group would be nameed BYGRP1.HTML thru BYGRP10.HTML. However, these would be REPORT files, not SAS datasets.

In order to create DATASETS, you will have to use some kind of repetitive logic, either in a DATA step program, PROC SQL or even a PROC SORT step (a DATA step approach and a PROC SORT approach are shown below):
[pre]
**** DATA step example;
data work.A0001 work.A0002 work.A0003;
set student;
if group = 'A0001' then output work.A0001;
else if group = 'A0002' then output work.A0002;
else if group = 'A0003' then output work.A0003;
run;

*** PROC SORT example;

proc sort data=student out=work.A0001;
by group student;
where group eq 'A0001';
run;

proc sort data=student out=work.A0002;
by group student;
where group eq 'A0002';
run;
[/pre]

To create a program where you did not need to know the names or number of GROUP values ahead of time, you would need to move into the world of SAS Macro processing.

These papers are a good introduction into the SAS Macro facility and should give you some ideas about how to automate the process of creating multiple SAS datasets from your one big file.
http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi28/056-28.pdf
http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings09/151-2009.pdf
http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi30/130-30.pdf
http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings09/200-2009.pdf

cynthia
toffee
Calcite | Level 5
I am interested on this part, I was doing exactly as in the example, but what if i have hundreds of groups? Is that any better way?

**** DATA step example;
data work.A0001 work.A0002 work.A0003;
set student;
if group = 'A0001' then output work.A0001;
else if group = 'A0002' then output work.A0002;
else if group = 'A0003' then output work.A0003;
run;
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Yes, using SAS MACRO language, as Cynthia replied. You will end up with a general-purpose SAS DATA step that reads your SAS file (create an index for performance) and either use a WHERE statement or generate your list of unique group values and use the macro code to generate your DATA statement and your IF/THEN OUTPUT; code, in a similar form as you have demonstrated in your reply.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
As I said in my previous post:

To create a program where you did not need to know the names or number of GROUP values ahead of time, you would need to move into the world of SAS Macro processing.

The links to papers at the end of the post should give you a start at understanding SAS Macro processing.

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation