BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

I'm working on a reporting macro which takes a SAS data set as input and spits it out to excel so that it looks pretty and is formatted nicely. I've got everything where I want it except that the columns aren't wide enough for several fields (long names, addresses, etc). I know that this can easily be remedited with width= but since I'm doing it as a macro for any data set is there any way to auto fit the width of each column based on the length of the data in the input data set?

Relevant SAS Code:

/* create "column" statement on the fly */
proc sql noprint;
   select strip(name)
   into :column_names separated by " "
   from dictionary.columns
   where upcase(memname) = upcase("&data_set");
quit;

/* create "define" statements on the fly */
proc sql noprint;
   select cat("define ", name, " / display ", '"', strip(coalesce(label, name)), '" CENTER', "; ")
   into :definition_lines separated by " "
   from dictionary.columns
   where upcase(memname) = upcase("&data_set.");
quit;  

ods excel file = &out.
  options (row_heights = "55, 12, 0, 16, 0, 0, 0"
   sheet_interval = "PROC"
   orientation = "landscape"
   center_horizontal = "yes"
   scale = "80"
   embedded_titles = "yes"
   frozen_headers = "5"
   gridlines = "off"
   row_repeat = "1-4"
   sheet_name = &sheet.);

proc report data = &data_set. nowd missing center headline headskip
   style(header) = {font_weight = BOLD 
                             background=#418fde
                             foreground=white}
   style(column)={vjust=center
                           tagattr="wrap:no"
                           asis=on};

column &column_names.;

&definition_lines.

run;

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

You could use 'Column Length' in dictionary.columns to make a style CELLWIDTH=xxxx .

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

You can control individual column widths with the ODS EXCEL option ABSOLUTE_COLUMN_WIDTH 

Generally specifying an appropriate format helps, You can also provide a WIDTH style element in the Define statements.

You have hidden your proc report definitions in a macro so we can't see what else may be affecting the column widths. It may help to share the actual text generated by all this. You can easily provide that by running the proc report code with the Option mprint turned on prior to execution. Copy from the log the Code generated and paste into a code box on the forum opened using the {I} or "running man" icon.

Ksharp
Super User

You could use 'Column Length' in dictionary.columns to make a style CELLWIDTH=xxxx .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation