BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Anmolkhandelwal
Obsidian | Level 7

9 REPLIES 9
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The best way to do this is to import the names separately. That is you manually identify the separate name components and line the data up starting in a particular column. Then your INPUT statement would look something like this:

input @1 fname $20. @22 mname $20. @44 lname $20.;

Reeza
Super User

1. COUNTW() to count the number of words in the string. 

2. If number of words is 2, then do the first and last only

3. If number of words is >2, then get the first and last as the first/last and the others as middle. 

SCAN() will allow you to retrieve the correct parts. 

This will not be correct of course. Some names have 2 parts to the first or last component but there's no way for me to know which is which. 

Your code doesn't run correctly, please ensure you test it before posting to ensure it reads your data correctly. 

VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

unless the count of words is > 3, then you need to start building some rules around what is excitable and not excitable.

Longest names – People with long names. Nicholas Unless-Jesus-Christ-Had-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebone (short version: Nicholas Barbon) — an English economist, physician and financial speculator Anna Bertha Cecilia Diana Emily Fanny Gertrude Hypatia Inez Jane Kate Louise Maud Nora Ophelia Prudence Quince Rebecca Sarah Teresa Ulysis...
Reeza
Super User
lol. excitable?
OP, once you fix the data I'll try and post some code.
Anmolkhandelwal
Obsidian | Level 7

Updated the input statement.

data names;
infile datalines;
input name $30.;

datalines;
arun krishna
gopal rao
venu vardhan reddy
rames krishna rao sunkara
kiran
;
run;

Reeza
Super User
data names;
infile datalines;
input name $30.;

nwords = countw(name);
first_name = scan(name, 1);
if nwords >1 then last_name = scan(name, -1);
length middle_name $30.;
do i=2 to nwords-1;
middle_name = catx(" ", trim(middle_name), scan(name, i));
end;

datalines;
arun krishna
gopal rao
venu vardhan reddy
kiran
;
run;
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

If you've got the SAS Data Quality Server / DataFlux licensed then tokenizing a name string would be a "school book" example.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/dqclref/70016/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0p4cunbfsorb6n1ms... 

Ksharp
Super User
data names;
infile datalines;
input name $30.;
datalines;
arun krishna
gopal rao
venu vardhan reddy
kiran
;
run;
data want;
 set names;
 call scan(name,1,p1,l1,' ');
 call scan(name,-1,p2,l2,' ');
first=scan(name,1,' ');
if p2>p1 then last=scan(name,-1,' ');
if p2>p1+l1+1 then middle=substr(name,p1+l1,p2-p1-l1);
drop p1 p2 l1 l2;
run;
ballardw
Super User

@Anmolkhandelwal wrote:

I have data something like below,

data names;
infile datalines;
input name $;

datalines;
arun Krishna           < which is first name, which is middle, which is last?
gopal rao
venu vardhan reddy
rames krishna rao sunkara  < which is first name, which is middle, which is last
kiran                                     < which is first name, which is middle, which is last
;
run;

I want to 3 more variables like
first name
middle name
Last name

if the variable does not have the middle name or last name then it should be blank please can you tell me the how to solve that particular problem

If there are not exactly 3 names given then you need to provide rules as to how to treat 1, 2 or more name elements.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 7 in conversation