BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mmea
Quartz | Level 8

Hi

I have this kind of table based on a proc compare data step:

Total Persons Positive date_or_text
1 1678899 4568788 294665 22feb2021
2 106113 5623 433 Changes since the day before

I need to add a new variable to this table with the positive percentages. it should take the "Positve" number from line 2 divided by the "total" number from line 2 times 100. it should be in mind that these numbers changes everyday. So I cant type the numbers manually in.

the wished ouput:

Total Persons Positive date_or_text Pos_perc
1 1678899 4568788 294665 22feb2021 .
2 106113 5623 450 Changes since the day before 0,42
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Amir
PROC Star

Hi @mmea,

If you just want the percentage calculation done for observation number 2, then you could try something like:

data want;
   set have;

if _n_ = 2 then
      pos_perc = (positive / total) * 100;
run;

If you want the calculation done for all observations then you can remove the line "if _n_ = 2 then".

If you want something different then please provide more information and explanation.

Thanks & kind regards,

Amir.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Amir
PROC Star

Hi @mmea,

If you just want the percentage calculation done for observation number 2, then you could try something like:

data want;
   set have;

if _n_ = 2 then
      pos_perc = (positive / total) * 100;
run;

If you want the calculation done for all observations then you can remove the line "if _n_ = 2 then".

If you want something different then please provide more information and explanation.

Thanks & kind regards,

Amir.

mklangley
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

A few questions:

1. In your example, why isn't pos_perc calculated for the first row? Is there a rule for which rows to calculate?

2. Can you elaborate on how this data is updated? I presume it is a SAS dataset that is updated daily, and that you want to pos_perc calculation to  be refreshed afterwards.

3. Is Positive in row 2 supposed to be 433 or 450? Your example shows both.

If you're looking for something that will automatically "refresh" the calculation, you could try a SAS view:

data have;
    input Total Persons Positive & date_or_text $32.;
    datalines;
1678899  4568788  294665  22feb2021
106113  5623  450  Changes since the day before
;
run;

proc sql;
    create view want as
    select *
          ,(positive / total) * 100 as pos_perc format 8.2
    from have;
quit;

mmea
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you.

My mistake - the number should be the same for positives in both examples.

My data is updated everyday, so I need a refreshed number everyday.

Only for the second row - as the first row tells me the numbers for covid in the whole period - and the second row are today.

Amir
PROC Star

Hi @mmea,

Thanks for the update. As no post has been marked as a solution, does this mean you still need a solution? In which case, please share what code you have tried, what result you received, and what result you actually wanted.

Thanks & kind regards,

Amir.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation