BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
shawn123
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi guys. This is my code, I want to substring the "word" value but the first part of the code cannot work, seems like word resolve into:123456789'. But I don't understand the mechanism behind it?

In the second part, I got the result, but string='5', why it's not '6' when I use the sixth position inside the %substr function?

/********************first part***********************/
%macro createdata(n=,word=); %do i=1 %to &n; data data&i; %if &i>5 %then string=%substr(&word,6); run; %end; %mend; %createdata(n=10,word='123456789');

/********************second part***********************/
%macro createdata(n=,word=);
%do i=1 %to &n;
data data&i;
%if &i>5 %then string=%substr(&word,6,1);;
run;
%end;
%mend;
%createdata(n=10,word='123456789');
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

First, there is rarely ever a reason to enclose the values of macro variables in quotes.

So instead of

you want

%createdata(n=10,word=123456789)

However, you still have a problem here. You state "In the second part, I got the result, but string='5'... "

You do not get string='5'. You get string=5. (If you fix it the way @JeffMaggio or I suggest, you get string=6.) In other words string is numeric. Is that what you want?

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JeffMaggio
Obsidian | Level 7

The first character in your string is '
the second character is 1

The 6th character is 5

shawn123
Obsidian | Level 7
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

First, there is rarely ever a reason to enclose the values of macro variables in quotes.

So instead of

you want

%createdata(n=10,word=123456789)

However, you still have a problem here. You state "In the second part, I got the result, but string='5'... "

You do not get string='5'. You get string=5. (If you fix it the way @JeffMaggio or I suggest, you get string=6.) In other words string is numeric. Is that what you want?

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation