BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
hjjijkkl
Pyrite | Level 9

I have a big data and I want to keep records where the term variable is either 0 or missing for that specific ID. For example in the table below, ID 2 has term=1 so, I want to delete the whole record for ID 2 from the data. How can I do that?

D

term

This is the outcome I want to have 

D

term

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

@hjjijkkl wrote:

I have a big data and I want to keep records where the term variable is either 0 or missing for that specific ID. For example in the table below, ID 2 has term=1 so, I want to delete the whole record for ID 2 from the data. How can I do that?

D

term

D

term

proc sql;
create table want as
select * from have
where D NOT IN (select distinct D from have where term=1);
quit;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@hjjijkkl wrote:

So, I think your explanation needs clarification. In the first sentence, you want to keep records where term is either 0 or missing. Does that mean you want to keep just those records are either 0 or missing; or does that mean you want to keep the entire ID if you get a 0 or missing? Or does that mean something else?

In your example where ID 2 has term=1, you want to delete it. What if there are mixed 0s and missings and 1s for term for an ID?

--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User

@hjjijkkl wrote:

D

term

D

term

proc sql;
create table want as
select * from have
where D NOT IN (select distinct D from have where term=1);
quit;
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Hi @hjjijkkl  I just love these fun questions-

data have ;
  infile cards truncover ;
  input ID $	term ;
cards ;
1	0
2	1
3	.
;

proc sql;
 create table want as
 select *
 from have
 group by id
 having not max(term) ;
quit;

proc print noobs ; run ;
ID term
1 0
1 .
3 .
3 .
Reeza
Super User
Breaks if you have no 1 in the data so not a really robust solution but meets minimal requirements 😉

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation