BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Dawid3
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, 

I m new in sas, and I have, a problem with conection sas managment console to postgresql base. When I try to register tables, program returns this error:

ERROR: CLI error trying to establish connection: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
locally and accepting
ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.
and this error:

ERROR: CLI error trying to establish connection: could not connect to server: Connection timed out
"IP" and accepting

When I try to connect by odbc program returns this error:

ERROR: CLI error trying to establish connection: [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found and no default driver
specified

Somebody knows how to solution this problem or have instruction how to connect sas to postgresql?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14
Was your issue resolved?
The fact that the pg_hba.conf had to be updated/modified indicates that the PostgreSQL server was not properly configured.
This files has configuration settings which in simple terms define who can connect and from where one can connect.
This explains the cause of the error
ERROR: CLI error trying to establish connection: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
locally and accepting.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Looks like the connection to Postgresql connection has not been setup.

Your SAS and OS Administrators should be of help.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Has the data library definition for Postgresql been created by you or by someone else? If it is by someone else then as @Sajid01  has said your SAS administrator should be able to help. If you are defining the connection, the best way to make sure it is correct is to try it out in a LIBNAME statement first. 

Dawid3
Fluorite | Level 6

When i run this code:

proc setinit noalias; run; %put _all_; proc product_status; run;

program returns this:

---SAS/ACCESS to Postgres

For SAS/ACCESS to Postgres ...
Custom version information: 9.4_M7

SASKiwi
PROC Star

The original errors you posted indicated the correct software is installed, but the SMC data library definition is incorrect. So still need the answers to the questions in my previous post.

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @Dawid3 
The output of the proc setinit indicates that you have the SAS Access interface to Postgres.
From a reading of your first it indicates that SAS is on a Unix Server.

You have said that you are new to SAS. Therefore I would suggest the fhe following.
As suggested in my earlier post I would suggest that if you have a SAS Administrator, do take his assistance. Otherwise somebody already working at SAS at your place. They would be having a better understanding of your environment. 

Your post lists the following

locally and accepting

The first indicates that a connection could not be established to the server. Under such circumstances one should find out why it could not be established.
The second error is a natural outcome of the first.

As a first step one has to check if a connection can be established using a libname statement.  If that works you can create a database connection in the SMC.

It appears that you are in the SAS is installed in the Unix/Linux environment, you can open the SAS session in the command line with -nodms option and run the following statement.

libname test  postgres server=your_server_name port=5432 
   user=username  password='password' database=database_name;

(Alternatively the above command can be run in the SAS Enterprise Guide or SAS Studio or the SAS Windowing environment.)
If everything works, there should be no error in the log and you will see that the libname has been set.
If this step is OK, then read the following and see if a connection has been configured correctly in the SAS Management Console.

https://blogs.sas.com/content/sgf/2013/02/13/registering-dbms-data-in-sas-management-console/ 
https://www.sas.com/content/dam/SAS/support/en/sas-global-forum-proceedings/2018/2357-2018.pdf

In the event the libname statement fails, please post the log with details about your SAS environment.

Dawid3
Fluorite | Level 6

hi, the problem was with postgre, and more precisely, in a file called pg_hba.conf, you had to correctly set up the allow replication connections from the host section.

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14
Was your issue resolved?
The fact that the pg_hba.conf had to be updated/modified indicates that the PostgreSQL server was not properly configured.
This files has configuration settings which in simple terms define who can connect and from where one can connect.
This explains the cause of the error
locally and accepting.

Dawid3
Fluorite | Level 6
Yes, my issue is solved, it was about what you've said. After modyfing the file everything works perfectly
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Dawid3  - Please update your post as answered in that case.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

As @SASKiwi already proposed try first to issue a libname out of SAS code before diving into a metadata definition for such a libname. 

Patrick_0-1650411927685.png

https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/acreldb/p0nc2tikruabp6n1008nkdf0buee.htm 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation