BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
user112a2
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a question. I have a field in my SAS dataset that has a mixture of datetime and date variables.
The field is PST_DT and is Type: Numeric. Group: Date. Format: Date9. Length: 8.
Some values look like this:

Removed

How can I turn just the datetime values in date format? I want all the values to be in date format.
Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

This does not look like a date9 formatted variable. Can you show a PROC CONTENTS output?

user112a2
Obsidian | Level 7

Removed

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@user112a2 wrote:

I have a question. I have a field in my SAS dataset that has a mixture of datetime and date variables.
The field is PST_DT and is Type: Numeric. Group: Date. Format: Date9. Length: 8.
Some values look like this:

PST_DT
8/22/2018  11:59:59 PM
8/22/2018

How can I turn just the datetime values in date format? I want all the values to be in date format.
Thanks.

There's nothing at all that looks like a date9 formatted value.

Is your example actually a part of a text file you want to read into a SAS dataset?

user112a2
Obsidian | Level 7

These values were imported from an excel file into SAS. Some of the values had dates and some had datetime values. These were imported into a SAS data set. 

user112a2
Obsidian | Level 7

This worked!!!!

Removed
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@user112a2 wrote:

This worked!!!!

data OUT.REQ_1_3_02 ;
SET OUT.REQ_1_3_01;

a= day(PST_DT);
b= month(PST_DT);
 c= year(PST_DT);
 date = input(catx("/",b,a,c),mmddyy10.);
 format date mmddyy10.;
run ;

Under normal circumstances, if PST_DT contains valid SAS date values or ordinary missing values, the four highlighted lines above could be simplified to:

date=PST_DT;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation