BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
always-good
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello everyone,

I want to ask how to correctly convert a CSV file containig date formate to a text file. Because when I convert it, the variables are not arranged in the correct way.

I will infile then this text file with date formate into SAS.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You need to use the DDMMYY10. informat. The DATE informat expects a date to be written like 01jan1960.

And don't forget to use the colon modifier in front of the informats, otherwise list input won't work.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Because when I convert it, the variables are not arranged in the correct way.

I don't know what this means. Please show us a portion of the data, please show us your SAS code, and please show how your SAS code doesn't produce the desired results

--
Paige Miller
always-good
Obsidian | Level 7

@PaigeMiller wrote:

Because when I convert it, the variables are not arranged in the correct way.

I don't know what this means. Please show us a portion of the data, please show us your SAS code, and please show how your SAS code doesn't produce the desired results

I mean the CSV file is like in screenshot 1  and the text file obtained is in the second screenshot 2

date excel filedate excel filedate text filedate text file

and to infile the text file in SAS I used this code:

filename BSMB 'C:\Users\x\Desktop\BSMB\text.txt';
data farm;
infile BSMB firstobs=2 dlm=';';
input Period THIP Month	THIIM ID	breed Parity DIM Milk  TOTALMilk 	FAT	 FM  	PROTEIN  PM  SC	SCS	DP GP Nins IM LastI CD	PC di met est	pro  CCI	ICIf	RT	HR 	RR 	PS
informat LastI CD	PC di met est	pro ddmmyy.;
  format LastI CD	PC di met est	pro yymmdd10.;
run;
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

I don't think your text file is delimited width semi-colon.  I think it is delimited with TAB DLM='09'x

always-good
Obsidian | Level 7
Yes.Thank you!
ballardw
Super User

@always-good wrote:

I mean the CSV file is like in screenshot 1  and the text file obtained is in the second screenshot 2

date excel filedate excel filedate text filedate text file

That is not a screen shot of a CSV. I would place a not-so-small wager that you have the file opened in a spreadsheet program. Which will make assumptions and display values other than as they appear in a CSV file. Plus if you saved the file on closing then the content may well have changed.

A CSV is TEXT and looks like this if comma separated:

Project ID,FT Eload,Surg Med,Surg Med Proc,Metric,Date scaf,Domain
ConnectCare_014,H2,Surgery,Surgery,Time in In Basket per Day,10/31/2020,In Basket
ConnectCare_014,H2,Surgery,Surgery,Time in In Basket per Day,10/30/2020,In Basket
ConnectCare_014,H2,Surgery,Surgery,Time in In Basket per Day,10/29/2020,In Basket
ConnectCare_014,H2,Surgery,Surgery,Time in In Basket per Day,10/28/2020,In Basket
ConnectCare_014,H2,Surgery,Surgery,Time in In Basket per Day,10/27/2020,In Basket
ConnectCare_014,H2,Surgery,Surgery,Time in In Basket per Day,10/26/2020,In Basket
ConnectCare_029,H1,Medical,Procedure,Time in In Basket per Day,6/1/2021,In Basket
ConnectCare_029,H1,Medical,Procedure,Time in In Basket per Day,5/31/2021,In Basket
ConnectCare_029,H1,Medical,Procedure,Time in In Basket per Day,5/30/2021,In Basket
ConnectCare_029,H1,Medical,Procedure,Time in In Basket per Day,7/31/2021,In Basket

If the separating character is other than a comma then replace the commas above with that character.

Open your CSV file in a TEXT editor, such as Notepad or even the SAS editor. Copy some text then on the forum open a text box and paste that to show what your CSV looks like.

You may also need to share the LOG from when you read that file. If there are actually values that should be read with a DDMMYY10. informat and you use DDMMYY., which will default to 6 characters, then the / make the first 6 characters and invalid date: 01/03/ (6 characters and no year to read)

always-good
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for your answer.

After many trials, I obtained this text file like in screenshot 3 

3.PNG

I runned the following code :

filename BSMB 'C:\Users\x\Desktop\BSMB\calv.txt';
data farm;
infile BSMB firstobs=2 dlm='09'x;
input ID Breed Parity DIM IM PI date10. I date10. INS date10. PC date10. CD date10. IF date10. Nins CIFI CCI;
run;

But it is mentionned an invalid data in the log.

4.PNG

How can SAS read the file please?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You need to use the DDMMYY10. informat. The DATE informat expects a date to be written like 01jan1960.

And don't forget to use the colon modifier in front of the informats, otherwise list input won't work.

always-good
Obsidian | Level 7

I would like to thank all of you 💐

I successfully ran the code that I would  share here  It was really helpful and I appreciate it.

Thanks again!

filename BSMB 'C:\Users\X\Desktop\BSMB\calv.txt';
data farm;
infile BSMB firstobs=2 dlm='09'x;
input ID Breed Parity DIM IM PI  I  INS  PC  CD  IF  Nins CIFI CCI;
informat PI  I  INS  PC  CD  IF ddmmyy.10;
format PI  I  INS  PC  CD  IF yymmdd10.;
run;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation