BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
vncntjgw
Calcite | Level 5

I have the following macro and sometime the variable in the where clause will exist and sometimes it won't.

%macro mem_det(tbl_, lice, sptc, type);
 proc sql;

create table &tbl_ as
   select distinct
    ma_id
    ,i_id
   from data.Northwinds
   where
    License = "&lice"
    and UPCASE(TRIM(topic_name)) in ("&sptc")
    if %symexist(type) %then and Type = ("&type");
   run;
  quit;
%mend mem_det

%mem_det(tbl_= TR_TEL_LIC, lice='LICENSED', sptc="contact", type=) /** in this instance the type isn't available **/
%mem_det(tbl_= TR_TEL_NONLIC, lice='NON-LICENSED', sptc="contact", type="FTE")

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

What is it that doesn't exist? The value of the macro variable? Or that variable in the data that the condition is testing?

Note that using the MPRINT option can help you see what code your macro is generating.

No need to add quotes around the values in the macro if the call already has the quotes. In fact trying to do both will cause trouble.

No need to TRIM() values before comparing them. SAS ignores trailing spaces when comparing values.

Make sure to upcase the comparison string if you are upcasing the values in the data.

proc sql;
  create table &tbl_ as
   select distinct
     ma_id
    ,i_id
   from data.Northwinds
   where License = &lice
%if %length(&type) %then
     and Type = &type
;
     and upcase(topic_name) in (%upcase(&sptc))
  ;
quit;
%mend mem_det

/** in this instance the type isn't available **/
%mem_det(tbl_= TR_TEL_LIC, lice='LICENSED', sptc="contact", type=) 

Do you need to test if TYPE exists in the input data data.Northwinds?

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Astounding
PROC Star

A couple of things jump out.  

You have to use %if, not if.  But %symexist is the wrong tool for the job.  TYPE is a parameter so it always exists, although it can have a null value.  Better:

%if %length(&type) %then and type="&type"; ;

Also note, there can never be any observations selected when you enter SPTC  in lower case letters.  It can never match a value returned by the UPCASE function.

There may be other issues, but try this much and see if it solves what you need done.

The first semicolon ends the %IF %THEN statement.  The second ends the CREATE statement.

vncntjgw
Calcite | Level 5
Sorry, I'll correct that %If statement.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Since TYPE is an argument to the macro, it always exists, but it may be empty.

Thus, you may want to check to see if &type is empty or not.

%if &type^= %then and type = "&type";

I think you have other errors in your code as well. 

--
Paige Miller
vncntjgw
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

What is it that doesn't exist? The value of the macro variable? Or that variable in the data that the condition is testing?

Note that using the MPRINT option can help you see what code your macro is generating.

No need to add quotes around the values in the macro if the call already has the quotes. In fact trying to do both will cause trouble.

No need to TRIM() values before comparing them. SAS ignores trailing spaces when comparing values.

Make sure to upcase the comparison string if you are upcasing the values in the data.

proc sql;
  create table &tbl_ as
   select distinct
     ma_id
    ,i_id
   from data.Northwinds
   where License = &lice
%if %length(&type) %then
     and Type = &type
;
     and upcase(topic_name) in (%upcase(&sptc))
  ;
quit;
%mend mem_det

/** in this instance the type isn't available **/
%mem_det(tbl_= TR_TEL_LIC, lice='LICENSED', sptc="contact", type=) 

Do you need to test if TYPE exists in the input data data.Northwinds?

vncntjgw
Calcite | Level 5
We're checking to see if the value of the TYPE is passed in the macro. If it's not passed then we won't need the "and Type=&Type" filter in the where statement.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The easiest test for whether user provided a value is to use the %LENGTH() macro function to test if the parameter value is not empty.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Tom wrote:

The easiest test for whether user provided a value is to use the %LENGTH() macro function to test if the parameter value is not empty.

How is that easier?

--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Because you don't have worry that the value will be look like code to the macro processor.

To see a good inventory of the types of problems see this classic paper by Chung and King.

https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings09/022-2009.pdf

Although in their analysis they also want to consider a macro variable that is non-empty but only contains space characters as being "blank".  You could add that level of testing if you want but it is normally not worth it as a user has work pretty hard to pass actual blanks into a parameter value in a macro call.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I just use the macro from that paper, but for beginners I don't mention that.

--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Looking at that Chung and King paper again the only blemish they found on using %LENGTH() was that they claimed it failed to detect when the value only contains blanks.  But that is not normally a test that I need or want to make. 

If the user wants to go to the effort to force the parameter TYPE to be one or more blanks instead of empty then the macro can just use those blanks as the value in the code it generates.

%mymacro(type=%str(   ));
MPRINT(MYMACRO):  and type="   "

vncntjgw
Calcite | Level 5
This was way awesome. It's working perfectly!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation