BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
9 REPLIES 9
animesh123
Obsidian | Level 7
I have already tried and know the output. I just required basic understanding of the output if anyone could help . Thanks
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Please show us what you see and ask SPECIFIC questions about what you don't understand. Also show us the code you have used.

--
Paige Miller
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@animesh123 wrote:
I have already tried and know the output. I just required basic understanding of the output if anyone could help . Thanks

So you already have the answer. What is your real question then?

animesh123
Obsidian | Level 7
Required basic understanding of the output.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I cannot tell from your posts what you are asking about.  You ask about joins but only showed a single dataset with only two variables.  What are you joining? Do you want to join the table with itself? What are the join conditions?  What is it you are trying to do? What output do you want to get?

If you tried it then show the code you tried.  What part of if did you not understand?

Please be more detailed in what you are asking.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

From the documentation:

A left outer join, specified with the keywords LEFT JOIN and ON, has all the rows from the Cartesian product of the two tables for which the SQL expression is true, plus rows from the first (Lefttab) table that do not match any row in the second (Righttab) table.

A right outer join, specified with the keywords RIGHT JOIN and ON, has all the rows from the Cartesian product of the two tables for which the SQL expression is true, plus rows from the second (Righttab) table that do not match any row in the first (Lefttab) table.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@animesh123 wrote:
Required basic understanding of the output.

@animesh123: You are being asked to provide further information by a number of people. Repeating the above (and continuing to repeat the above) does not provide further information and does not enlighten us. Earlier, I said:

Please show us what you see and ask SPECIFIC questions about what you don't understand. Also show us the code you have used.

I am requesting you completely comply with the above request if we are going to be able to help you. Do not repeat "Required basic understanding of the output" as that is not what we are asking for.

--
Paige Miller
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

A decent technical description of the SQL join operations (including the effect of missing (null) values) is given here.

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation