BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bbarn
Fluorite | Level 6

I am looking to convert a varchar date(Date2) in PROC SQL to for use in a query without stepping the table.  The varchar is in YYYYMMDD format in the SELECT  and I need to convert it to date9. so I can use it in a WHERE clause on the first CREATE TABLE.  The converted date needs to be compatible with an INTNX statement.

proc sql;

create table blahblah as

select Date2,

column1,

column2,

from xxx.xxxx

where Date2 GE intnx('day',today(),-3,'same'

Any help much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2 REPLIES 2
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you don't need to convert the variable to a date but want change the WHERE clause you could replace the date value with the equivalent string by using macro code.  So one of these:

where Date2 GE "%sysfunc(intnx(day,%sysfunc(today()),-3),yymmddn8.)"
where Date2 GE "%sysfunc(putn(%sysfunc(today())-3,yymmddn8.))"

The GE will work because strings in YYYYMMDD order sort lexicographically in the same order as the dates they represent sort chronologically. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation