BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Sandeep77
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi all,

I have a dataset with different months. Each account number shows 1,2,3, etc which indicates the number of letters send to those accounts. I want to try to find the total number of letters send in each month. Basically, I want to get the sum like in March the total letter send is 2, in May it is 6. I tried the code mention below and it shows me for 1 month but when I try to add all months, its  goes in not responding.

Proc sql;
select sum(FEBvols)
from No_Letter;
quit;
JANvols FEBvols MARvols APRvols MAYvols
0 0 2 2 1
0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Thank you. Don't make me ask repeatedly for data in the proper form.

proc means data=test sum;
    var janvols--mayvols;
run;

May I suggest that you do not put calendar information into variable names. You would be far better off having a data set with a variable named MONTH which has the names of the months, or even better if this variable MONTH has a valid numeric SAS date value indicating the month.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Please provide data as working SAS data step code, as you have done in the past.

--
Paige Miller
Sandeep77
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi,

data Test;
infile datalines dsd truncover;
input JANvols FEBvols MARvols APRvols MAYvols
;
datalines;
0 0 2 2 1
0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 5
0 0 0 0 0
;
run;

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Thank you. Don't make me ask repeatedly for data in the proper form.

proc means data=test sum;
    var janvols--mayvols;
run;

May I suggest that you do not put calendar information into variable names. You would be far better off having a data set with a variable named MONTH which has the names of the months, or even better if this variable MONTH has a valid numeric SAS date value indicating the month.

--
Paige Miller
Sandeep77
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you. That worked!!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation