BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SA13
Calcite | Level 5

My data set has "subject", "Visit", "Adverse_Event_Start", and  "Adverse_Ever_End". 

I need to create a new column "Advse_Event_Present" based on "Subjec", "Visit", ""Adverse_Event_Start", and  "Adverse_Ever_End". 

In "Adverse_Event_Start" column:  "1" means "adverse event started"

In  "Adverse_Event_End" column:  "1" means "adverse event ended"

The zero values in both columns are not informative.

The "Adverse_Event_Present" are created as following:

If Adverse_Event_Start= 1 and Adverse_Event_End=0, the "Adverse_Event_Present" is 1.

If Adverse_Event_Start= 0 and Adverse_Event_End=1, the "Adverse_Event_Present" is 0.

If Adverse_Event_Start= 1 and Adverse_Event_End=1, the "Adverse_Event_Present" is 1.

If Adverse_Event_Start= 0 and Adverse_Event_End=0, the "Adverse_Event_Present" can be "0" or "1" based on previous visit (s) for each subject.

For example, for subject= A, Visit=3, the previous visit for the same subject (subject= A, Visit=2) has Adverse_Event_Start=1 and Adverse_Event_End  =0, therefore Adverse_Event_Present (for subject= A, Visit=3) should be 1.

Below, I fill out the true values for “Adverse_Event_Present” if the program works properly.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Subject      Visit      Adverse_Event_Start  Adverse_Event_End   Adverse_Event_Present

A                 1                     0                                          0                               0

A                 2                      1                                         0                                1

A                3                       0                                         0                                 1

A                 4                       0                                         1                                 0

A                  5                       0                                         0                                0

B                 1                      0                                          0                                0

B                 2                      1                                          0                                1

B                  3                      0                                         0                                 1

B                  4                      0                                         1                                  0

C                 1                       1                                         0                                  1

C                 2                       0                                         0                                   1

C                 3                        0                                         0                                  1

C                 4                        0                                         0                                   1

D                  1                       1                                          1                                  1

D                   2                      0                                          0                                  0

D                    3                      0                                          0                                  0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

We need to add logic for group changes. Make sure that the dataset is properly sorted, and add these statements:

by subject;
if first.subject then adverse_event_present = 0;

before all the other logic that sets the new variable.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
What have you tried so far? Provide your code.
ballardw
Super User

The data you show and result described means the result is completely dependent on Adverse_Event_Start and it doesn't matter what the other variable has as a value:

If Adverse_Event_Start =1 then Adverse_Event_Start=1;

else Adverse_Event_Start=0;

Or you data description is incomplete and you actually have other values and/or missing values for one of the variables. In which case you need to provide rules with those.

SA13
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you for reading my post.

Your answer is not accurate.

The adverse event depends on both start date and end date. Also, some
subjects just has adverse event start date which means in all next visits
the adverse event is equal to 1. I am trying to figure out how to write a
proper code.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If you want us to test our code, supply example data in usable form, which is a working data step with datalines that creates the dataset as you have it.

Use the "little running man" button to post the code.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Hi @ballardw I think your condition needs to be expanded a little:

retain adverse_event_present;
l_end = lag(adverse_event_end);
If Adverse_Event_Start
then Adverse_Event_present = 1;
else if adverse_event_end or l_end
then Adverse_Event_present = 0;
drop l_end;
SA13
Calcite | Level 5
I still did not get what I wanted. Let me explain better. Here is my data:

data New_data;
input subject$ visit adverse_event_start adverse_event_end;
datalines;
A 1 0 0
A 2 1 0
A 3 0 0
A 4 0 1
A 5 0 0
B 1 0 0
B 2 1 0
B 3 0 0
B 4 0 1
c 1 1 0
c 2 0 0
c 3 0 0
c 4 0 0
D 1 1 1
D 2 0 0
D 3 0 0
;
run;

[image: image.png]

I want to create a new column "adverse_event_present" based on subject,
visit, adverse_event_start, and adverse_event_end.

The final result should be like this

I tried the following code based on the provided hint:

Data New_Cat;
set New_data;
l_end=lag(advrese_event_end);
if adverse_event_start then adverse_event_present=1;
else if advrese_event_end or l_end then adverse_Event_present = 0;
drop l_end;
run;

However, the output is not what I wanted:

Any help is greatly appreciated.
SA13
Calcite | Level 5

Sure.

I still did not get what I wanted. Let me explain better. Here is my data:

data New_data;
input subject$ visit adverse_event_start adverse_event_end;
datalines;
A 1 0 0
A 2 1 0
A 3 0 0
A 4 0 1
A 5 0 0
B 1 0 0
B 2 1 0
B 3 0 0
B 4 0 1
c 1 1 0
c 2 0 0
c 3 0 0
c 4 0 0
D 1 1 1
D 2 0 0
D 3 0 0
;
run;

Capture_1.PNG

I want to create a new column "adverse_event_present" based on subject,
visit, adverse_event_start, and adverse_event_end.

The final result should be like this

Capture_2.PNG

I tried the following code based on the provided hint:

Data New_Cat;
set New_data;
l_end=lag(advrese_event_end);
else if advrese_event_end or l_end then adverse_Event_present = 0;
drop l_end;
run;

However, the output is not what I wanted:

Capture_3.PNG

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You have a typo that creates (and tests!) an unwanted variable:

else if advrese_event_end

this unwanted variable is always missing, so the condition will always be false.

This can also be seen in the log ("variable is uninitialized"). A NOTE you do not want to have in your logs.

SA13
Calcite | Level 5

Oh, you are right. 

Data New_Cat;
set New_data;
l_end=lag(adverse_event_end);
else if adverse_event_end or l_end then adverse_Event_present = 0;
drop l_end;
run;

The output is 

Capture4.PNG

The first value of " adverse_Event_present" is missing. It should be "0". The other values are exactly what I wanted. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

We need to add logic for group changes. Make sure that the dataset is properly sorted, and add these statements:

by subject;
if first.subject then adverse_event_present = 0;

before all the other logic that sets the new variable.

SA13
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you so much for your help. It worked.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation