BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
GDy1
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I'm new to SAS and I can't find a solution to what I'm trying to do.  I want the output from my 1st SQL from one database to be an input to my 2nd SQL from another database, i.e., 2 different database connections.

The 1st SQL's output are numeric values stored in varchar2 datatype and the 2nd SQL field for the IN clause is also a varchar2 datatype.

I'm trying to use a macro variable called resultdata.  The 1st SQL returned the numeric values separated by comma but they are not in single quotes.   The 2nd SQL returned an ERROR: ORACLE execute error: ORA-01722: invalid number because it was expecting the INPUT to be in single quotes.   Please help.   Thanks in advance.

Below is a sample of my SAS code.   

===========================

proc sql noprint;
connect to oracle (user=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX pw=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 
path="(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=hostname1)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=sv1)))");
select * into: resultdata separated by ','
from connection to oracle
(
SELECT '852' AS DATA FROM DUAL
union
SELECT '229' AS DATA FROM DUAL
);
disconnect from oracle;
%put &resultdata;
quit;

proc sql;
path="(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=hostname2)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=sv2)))");
select *
(SELECT * FROM table
WHERE ID IN (&resultdata)
);
disconnect from oracle;
quit;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Create a SAS dataset with the list of codes.

Break them into groups.

Use one group to pull some of the data. Repeat for each group.

So change your first SELECT ... INTO to a CREATE TABLE as SELECT .... instead.  Then assign the groups.

proc sql noprint;
connect to oracle (... your connection details here ... ;
create table list as select * from connection to oracle
(select distinct data from sometable)
;
quit;
data list;
  group+1;
  do _n_=1 to 1000 until(eof);
     set list end=eof;
     output;
  end;
  if eof then call symputx('ngroups',group);
run;

Then generate a separate SELECT for each group.  You might for example create a macro that generates code to pull one group and then combine. So perhaps something like this: 

%macro pull(ngroups);
%local i group resultdata;
proc sql;
connect to oracle  (... your connection details here ... );
%do i=1 %to &ngroups;
select quote(trim(data),"'") into: resultdata separated by ','
from list
where group=&group
;
create table group&group as
select *
(
SELECT * FROM table
);
%end;
quit;
data want;
  set group1-group&ngroups;
run;
%mend;

Which you can then call passing in the calculated number of groups from the first step.

%pull(&ngroups);

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If the values are strings then you want to include quotes around them. Use the optional second argument to the QUOTE() function to have it use the single quotes that your remote DB requires.

select quote(trim(data),"'") into :resultdata separated by ','
(...);

GDy1
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks.  The quote(trim(data),"'") works.   However, the 1st query returned more than 1,000 records and I got the ERROR: ORACLE prepare error: ORA-01795: maximum number of expressions in a list is 1000.

How do I go around this or is there another way or approach to handle what I'm trying to achieve?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The right solution depends on the sizes of the various tables/values.

If the total size of the second table is small enough then perhaps you can just let SAS pull the whole table over and do the subsetting on the SAS side.

In general you want to minimize the amount of data you need to pull out of the remote database into SAS by pushing the subsetting criteria into the remote database.  So if the list of values is too large to include in the query statement you should look into whether you have permission to upload the list of values into a table (probably a temporary table) and then use that table in a query to limit the values returned.

So check with the owner of the second database about how you can upload the values into a temporary table to perform the subsetting.

GDy1
Calcite | Level 5

The output of the 1st query would be on the average about over thousand records but less than 5K for sure.   Unfortunately, we are not allowed to create temporary tables on the remote database.   

Any other suggestions or ideas to achieve this?   Some examples would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You could try limiting the IN () list you generate to less than 1000 values, but you migth then run into some other limit.

You could run separated queries of 1000 or less values each and then append the results.

To separate the list of values into group you could use something like:

data list2;
  set list;
  group + mod(_n_,1000)=1;
run;
GDy1
Calcite | Level 5

I'm sorry but I did not understand the suggested solution of grouping.   How can I group the 1st query results by chunks of 1000 records or less?   Let's say the 1st query returned 1,500 records.  The idea is ...

1st chunk:  '1','2','3', ... '1000'

2nd chunk: '1001', '1002', '1003', ... '1500'

Below is what I currently have coded.

proc sql noprint;
path="(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=hostname1)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=sv1)))");
(
SELECT * FROM TABLE <--  this 1st SQL will return more than 1000 records
);
disconnect from oracle;
%put &resultdata;
quit;

proc sql;
path="(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=hostname2)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=sv2)))");
select *
(

SELECT * FROM table
WHERE ID IN (&resultdata) <-- INPUT from the results from 1st query
);
disconnect from oracle;
quit;

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Create a SAS dataset with the list of codes.

Break them into groups.

Use one group to pull some of the data. Repeat for each group.

So change your first SELECT ... INTO to a CREATE TABLE as SELECT .... instead.  Then assign the groups.

proc sql noprint;
connect to oracle (... your connection details here ... ;
create table list as select * from connection to oracle
(select distinct data from sometable)
;
quit;
data list;
  group+1;
  do _n_=1 to 1000 until(eof);
     set list end=eof;
     output;
  end;
  if eof then call symputx('ngroups',group);
run;

Then generate a separate SELECT for each group.  You might for example create a macro that generates code to pull one group and then combine. So perhaps something like this: 

%macro pull(ngroups);
proc sql;
connect to oracle  (... your connection details here ... );
%do i=1 %to &ngroups;
from list
where group=&group
;
create table group&group as
select *
(
SELECT * FROM table
);
%end;
quit;
data want;
run;
%mend;

Which you can then call passing in the calculated number of groups from the first step.

%pull(&ngroups);

GDy1
Calcite | Level 5

I'm getting the following error:

NOTE: Line generated by the invoked macro "PULL".
98 select quote(trim(data),"'") into: resultdata separated by ',' from list where group=&group ;
_
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a name, a quoted string, a numeric constant, a datetime constant,
a missing value, BTRIM, INPUT, PUT, SUBSTRING, USER.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Turn on the MPRINT option and check the SAS code that the macro generated.  Try running the code directly without generating via the macro  until you get the syntax right. Then fix the macro so that it generates code that works.

If you want help debugging you need to show the full statement that the macro generated that SAS is complaining about. Make sure to post the copied text using the INSERT CODE button on the forum editor so that the formatting is preserved since the underscores in the error message should indicate what part of the code SAS got confused by.

GDy1
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks.  It worked when I changed the lines with &group to &i

%macro pull(ngroups);
proc sql;
connect to oracle (... your connection details here ... );
%do i=1 %to &ngroups;
from list
where group=&i
;
create table group&i as
select *
(
SELECT * FROM table
);
%end;
quit;
data want;
run;
%mend;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation