BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
vinpres
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi to all

I'm new to SAS world and I'm starting to use the 9.2 version of SAS.

The main use of SAS for me is as developer of ETL (Extraction, transformation and loading) processes.

Kindly, can anyone tell me where I find the "basic training"/"getting started" (like for dummy) documentations?

The main tools that I have to use is the SAS Data Integration Studio, SAS Enterprise Guide, SAS Management Console and SAS Flow Manager.

In particular, I would like to know where I find the "basic training"/"getting started" (like for dummy) documentations for the above tools.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

For Data Integration Studio, go here.

For SAS Management Console, I suggest to start here.

To learn SAS programming as such, I suggest to work through the free online Programming 1 course.

For SAS Enterprise Guide, go here.

Reeza
Super User
9.2 is a really old version of SAS (pre 2011) so when you search for anything ensure you're using the right version as many new features will not be in 9.2.

ballardw
Super User

ETL to some extend is going to depend on the source of the data.

If extracting from some other data base then you would likely be better off if you have the appropriate SAS/ACCESS  (to Oracle DB2 Teradata or what have you). One issue with that is I suspect that SAS 9.2 didn't have all of the access tools current.

Another is if you intend to have relatively native connections Microsoft products like Excel and Access. The SAS/Access to PCfiles is a start but an run into issues quickly with 32bit vs 64bit issues between the version of SAS and Office installed. If one is 32bit and the 64bit then things seldom go well.

If you are mostly concerned with various text file formats such as delimited files or fixed column then rejoice. There are LOTS of examples of Data step code to read and control such. And included in the online help that hopefully was installed with SAS. Open the online help (press F1 in SAS should get that), go to the Contents tab. About the second entry should be folder named something like "Learning to Use SAS" which has example code and some tutorials.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Welcome to SAS.

To clarify, SAS 9.2 was released in March 2008. See

https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2013/08/02/how-old-is-your-version-of-sas-release-dates-for-sas-so...

That was a long time ago! So many great features since then!

Ksharp
Super User
SAS is stand for Statistical Analysis System . It also include Operations research tools SAS/OR .
Matrix language SAS/IML, quality control SAS/QC .............. a lot of many good things.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 6 in conversation