BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jmpalumbNCSU
Calcite | Level 5

Hello all, I'm learning to use SAS Studio as it's the coding environment the training modules were taught in and I'm not the most computer literate person, so to make things easier on myself I've been using it alone. My coworker who requested that I take the training says that I cannot use the SAS Studio environment for our data as it takes the form of patient records and is therefore shared with SAS when I use Studio. Is this true? I'd like to continue using it if I can since I'm much less familiar with Enterprise or 9.4 which are also on this PC. Please advise.

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

If you're using Academics on Demand, this your data is in the SAS cloud and this likely violates your companies policies. Since you're mentioning a training environment, I suspect your colleague is correct and your data would be sent externally.
If you're using SAS University Edition then no data is sent externally, but usage statistics are sent to the server.
If you're using a custom installation of SAS Studio then no data is sent externally.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
When you say that you are "less familiar with Enterprise or 9.4", I assume you mean SAS Enterprise Guide or SAS Display Manager on Windows, also known as the SAS Windowing Environment.

An editor is an editor is an editor is an editor (with apologies to Gertrude Stein). All of the SAS Editors have a place to type code; all of the SAS Editors have a way for you to review the SAS log after the code runs. All of the SAS Editors have a way to review results. The look and feel of the editors is different. How you launch each editor is a bit different. How you submit code is a bit different (click the little running man or click the Run menu item). How and where you save code is different. How you address files is slightly different. But this is all minor and you can learn to work with the differences.

SAS Enterprise Guide, SAS Studio, SAS Display Manager on Windows are all just different ways to communicate with SAS -- different graphical user interfaces. SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio can work with your code and send it to the main SAS executable program. That main SAS program can reside in any of these places:
1) a local install on a Windows C: drive
2) a network install on a company server
3) a Business Intelligence platform install (like #2, only with a metadata server and more security and other servers in the mix)
4) a cloud install, such as using SAS Studio and Enterprise Guide with SAS on a cloud server (such as our SAS OnDemand for Academics cloud server or an company cloud either on-premises or hosted remotely)

#1, #2 and #3 above are typically company or school configurations. #4 could be a company configuration, but it is also the way we deliver free access to SAS for non-commercial learning purposes. I would NOT recommend uploading your own data, especially patient data to our SODA server just because you only want to use SAS Studio.

SAS University Edition on a Virtual Machine uses SAS Studio to communicate with SAS inside the Unix Virtual Machine. However, SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS on Windows will NOT communicate with SAS this way when using SAS University Edition.

I could type my SAS programs in Notepad or Wordpad or Textpad or even in Word. But I can't submit the code to SAS from any of those editors. However, assuming I saved my typed program and I knew the location of the SAS executable program and I have the right permissions, I could go to a command window and batch submit my SAS program (in most of the above usage scenarios).

We have lots of videos that show how to use Enterprise Guide and if you are a student at NCSU, as your username implies, then you could access training via NCSU's license. You could send mail to elearn@sas.com to find out how a student can access Enterprise Guide training.

Hope this helps convince you to give Enterprise Guide a try. SAS Studio isn't your only resource.
Cynthia

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation