BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jyothiN
Calcite | Level 5

Could you please help me on the below query where i m trying to retreive data for past 1 month from current date.

query used:

proc sql noprint;
create table test1 as Select distinct  quote_number(alphnumeric),
effective, TRANSACTIONDATE from Libname.table 
where datepart (TRANSACTIONDATE) < intnx('month',today(),-1)
and quotenumber like 'Q%'
order by transactiondate desc;
Quit;

sample result set of the data retrieved:

QCAH3107000623 27OCT2018:00:00:00.000000 24OCT2018:21:39:25.228000

Actually i need past 6-month's data but first trying out to get with 1 month and to apply it for 6 months

This gives me result of 22 million.

Kindly help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

A couple comments.  It's still August 28 here,  so over here you would want

where datepart (TRANSACTIONDATE) >= "29jul2020"d

Notice it's >=,  not <, since you apparently want the most recent month.

But why bother applying the datepart function to every observation, when you can do the equivalent test for a datetime cutoff.  I.e., the condition could be modified to:

where TRANSACTIONDATE  >= "29jul2020:00:00:00"dt 

So how to generate the 29jul2020:00:00:00?  You could put this in the where clause:

where TRANSACTIONDATE >= intnx(dtmonth,intnx('dtday',datetime(),1),-1,'same')

The internal INTNX takes the current datetime and adds 1 day (unit DTDAY) to it, and by default aligns the result  to the beginning of the day, i.e. 29AUG2020:00:00:00.   Then the external INTNX goes back 1 month (minus 1 DTMONTH), from that value, but is told to align it to the same day-of-month (rather than defaulting to the beginning of the month).  So it generates the datetime for 29JUL2020:00:00:00. 

But wait, there's more.  Instead of telling SQL to calculate these nested functions once per observation to repeatedly generate a constant, you can use macro language to calculate the constant just once, and use the resulting macrovar in the sql, as in:

%let midnight_tonight=%sysfunc(intnx(dtday,%sysfunc(datetime()),1));
%let midnight_one_month_prior=%sysfunc(putn(%sysfunc(intnx(dtmonth,&midnight_tonight,-1,same)),datetime20.));
%put &=midnight_one_month_prior;

proc sql noprint;
  create table test1 as Select distinct quote_number(alphnumeric),
  effective, TRANSACTIONDATE 
  from Libname.table 
  where TRANSACTIONDATE >= "&midnight_one_month_prior"dt
Quit;

So this provides the correct filter, and minimizes the computing burden while doing it.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

What does "past 1 month from current date" mean? If today is 29 Aug 2020 does that mean you want 30 Jul 2020 to 29 Aug 2020 inclusive or 01 Jul 2020 to 31 Jul 2020 inclusive or some other range?

jyothiN
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for quick response!

I need data date range from 30 Jul 2020 to 29 Aug 2020 inclusive.

Thanks

mkeintz
PROC Star

A couple comments.  It's still August 28 here,  so over here you would want

where datepart (TRANSACTIONDATE) >= "29jul2020"d

Notice it's >=,  not <, since you apparently want the most recent month.

But why bother applying the datepart function to every observation, when you can do the equivalent test for a datetime cutoff.  I.e., the condition could be modified to:

where TRANSACTIONDATE  >= "29jul2020:00:00:00"dt 

So how to generate the 29jul2020:00:00:00?  You could put this in the where clause:

where TRANSACTIONDATE >= intnx(dtmonth,intnx('dtday',datetime(),1),-1,'same')

The internal INTNX takes the current datetime and adds 1 day (unit DTDAY) to it, and by default aligns the result  to the beginning of the day, i.e. 29AUG2020:00:00:00.   Then the external INTNX goes back 1 month (minus 1 DTMONTH), from that value, but is told to align it to the same day-of-month (rather than defaulting to the beginning of the month).  So it generates the datetime for 29JUL2020:00:00:00. 

But wait, there's more.  Instead of telling SQL to calculate these nested functions once per observation to repeatedly generate a constant, you can use macro language to calculate the constant just once, and use the resulting macrovar in the sql, as in:

%let midnight_tonight=%sysfunc(intnx(dtday,%sysfunc(datetime()),1));
%let midnight_one_month_prior=%sysfunc(putn(%sysfunc(intnx(dtmonth,&midnight_tonight,-1,same)),datetime20.));
%put &=midnight_one_month_prior;

proc sql noprint;
  create table test1 as Select distinct quote_number(alphnumeric),
  effective, TRANSACTIONDATE 
  from Libname.table 
  where TRANSACTIONDATE >= "&midnight_one_month_prior"dt
Quit;

So this provides the correct filter, and minimizes the computing burden while doing it.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

jyothiN
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, Greetings!

Thank you so much!

It worked and got the desired results.

Just a follow-up question - in case if i want to change to get prior 6 months data - i just need to change the '-1' to '-6' in the below query you had provided?

Thanks!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation