BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sharuu_00
Calcite | Level 5

I have UltraEdit software where I write sas programs and there is console in UltraEdit where seems I need to write commnds and run sas file.  And once I write sas coding have to send to UNIX (by ctrl save) then run in console.  I'm bit confused of understanding this.

So, UNIX AND SAS

THEN I have UltraEdit

Thanks,

17 REPLIES 17
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Why aren't you using SAS-provided development interfaces like Enterprise Guide or SAS Studio where all the required functionality is already available? 

sharuu_00
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the reply.

I would love to use and I have used those before. 

At my current place, they run sas in UNIX.  I have used before but bit confusing when it using via UltraEdit.

So,  creating sas file in UltraEdit and have to send to UNIX (by ctrl save). Then, UltraEdit (SAS Server Application) console have to write command and run created sas file.

Anyone familiar with UltraEdit and Unix and SAS?

Thanks!

Reeza
Super User
It sounds like your work, for some reason has chosen to not use a client. You can configure it to run directly from ultraedit, but it does depend a bit on your SAS infrastructure. Your colleagues probably have the best answer on how to optimize your SAS usage.

https://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2017/08/25/npp-with-sas/
sharuu_00
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you!
SASKiwi
PROC Star

With all due respect, your company seems to be working in the Dark Ages regarding SAS interfaces...

A simpler way to interact with Unix SAS would be via an X-windows session directly on Unix (using the SAS Windowing Environment) or is that not available to you as well? I've never used UltraEdit so I can't really help you with that.

sharuu_00
Calcite | Level 5

I'm totally confused how they use.  It doesn't seem SAS Windowing Environment.  

So, in UltraEdit there are 3 part like 1) editor windows (smilier to sas edit window - where you could write programs) 

2) File view - where all the files/folder's (similar to SAS explorer window)

3) console window - when I connect to console it shows intro message like "SAS Application Server" (where you could use commands to check what files in the directory, and so on ...like using UNIX commands)

SO, once ready to execute the sas program first I have to send that code to UNIX SAS(by ctrl save), then using command

for example: if the sas file name test

then I will have to type "SAS test" at the prompt and hit enter to run sas file.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Here is a link to the documentation on the SAS Windowing Environment (and others) and how it works on Unix: https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=hostunx&docsetTarget=p1q3zgoxmti24mn1lfu3obkd6dse.htm&docset...

What do other SAS users in your company use to develop and run SAS programs?

My understanding is that UltraEdit uses FTP to send the SAS program to the SAS server, runs the program in batch mode, then FTP's the LOG and OUTPUT files back to your PC. Clunky is not the word...

sharuu_00
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the link.. I have read that already and I'm still kind of not clear... Smiley Sad

I'm not sure sas develop - what they do

But, SAS programmers using UltraEdit, SAS on Unix ...

Yes. UltraEdit use FTP to connect and connect to unix server or something - not clear here.

FTP -not clear as well

When you say "runs the program in batch mode" - I'm not understanding the batch mode meaning here

Yes, LOG and LIST files back to UltraEdit folders in FileView 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I suggest you get help from other SAS users in your organisation to set up UltraEdit correctly. They are in a much better position to help you than we are.

If you are having problems understanding the documentation then I'd suggest you need more training in SAS basics. This is beyond the scope of the SAS Community.

Running SAS in batch mode means you run your SAS program from the Unix command line:  command line> sas MySASProgram.sas. It is that simple.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

When you have a UNIX-only installation without Integration Technologies, the proper way to use it is by connecting to the UNIX server with X-Windows and run SAS natively with Display Manager.

How do the other people in your organization use SAS?

sharuu_00
Calcite | Level 5

Can you please explain in detail. I think that's how they are connecting.  I'm the only one sas programmer there and new to the place.

They are using UltraEdit to write sas programs and sending to UNIX and running sas file on console by writing commands. and output and results seems back to file view folders in UlterEdit.  But, How do I run a single query there? Like, we run a simple data step in sas edit window by highlighting.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@sharuu_00 wrote:

Can you please explain in detail. I think that's how they are connecting.  I'm the only one sas programmer there and new to the place.

They are using UltraEdit to write sas programs and sending to UNIX and running sas file on console by writing commands. and output and results seems back to file view folders in UlterEdit.  But, How do I run a single query there? Like, we run a simple data step in sas edit window by highlighting.

For that, SAS delivers the perfect IDE. It's called Enterprise Guide.

Seriously, your organization needs to take steps to arrive in the present. What you're doing now is so seventies .....

Instead of wasting time cobbling together workarounds and reinventing the wheel, invest in up-to-date SAS infrastructure. It pays off.

sharuu_00
Calcite | Level 5
yeah, , I have used mostly up-to-date version and here seems so much different
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Sounds like you are creating complete SAS programs and running them from the command line. 

UltraEdit is just a text editor.  You could use Notepad.  Vim.  Any editor you want.  It sounds like it also lets you look a the list of files on your system.  There are many other tools for doing that.  From just using ls command to GUI tools like WinSCP.

There are many advantages to running your programs in that way.  Most important is that you then have a complete LOG of the full program execution from start to finish.  This will avoid issues with code that appears to work, but then turns out that it is referencing things (datasets, librefs, filerefs) that were created by some earlier process run in an interactive session.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation