BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
NewUsrStat
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi guys, I have a dataset with a column (i.e., a variable) with some values having .0. The decimal is always 0. I would like to remove .0. To do this, I used the following code: diagnosis_corrected = compress(DIAGNOSIS,'.'), but unfortunately values like 0726 become 726 and I would like they remain 0796. Like this, there are other values starting with 0.  How can I remove all decimals while preserving cases like 0796? 

data DB;
input ID :$20. DIAGNOSIS $20.;
cards;
0001 234.0
0001 4321.0
0002 V00080
0002 254
0003 876
0003 V98.0

0004 0796

0004 0543
run;

Note: the variable is a character variable

Thank you very much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Use the TRANWRD function

newvariable = tranwrd(oldvariable,".0","");
--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

If you want to remove the decimals, simply assign a format like 8.0 to the variable. This assumes the variable is numeric, and I'm getting the impression that maybe its not numeric, it is character. Which is it?

--
Paige Miller
NewUsrStat
Pyrite | Level 9
Yes, it is char. I will edit my post.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Convert the character string to actual numbers, then assign a format like 8.0.

--
Paige Miller
NewUsrStat
Pyrite | Level 9
I cannot. The variable must be char consistently with another dataset
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@NewUsrStat wrote:
I cannot. The variable must be char consistently with another dataset

I don't know what this means. You can work with numbers as numbers and then convert back to character to be consistent with another data set. But I don't even understand why someone has set up a system of data where numbers are characters, unless these are some sort of ID values, and if these are ID values, how did they get the .0 on the end?

--
Paige Miller
NewUsrStat
Pyrite | Level 9

So, basically there are the values of that variable that could be also like: V0008. This is why it should remain char.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I'm not sure I understand. Your explanations are very incomplete. Are you saying that you have a V0008.0 and you have to remove the .0 ??? Or are you saying something else?

--
Paige Miller
NewUsrStat
Pyrite | Level 9
Yes, all can be: V0008.0 or sometimes V0012 (without .0), values like the ones I showed: 234.0, 4321.0 but also values without the decimal like: 654, 764.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Use the TRANWRD function

newvariable = tranwrd(oldvariable,".0","");
--
Paige Miller
NewUsrStat
Pyrite | Level 9
I edited the post!
NewUsrStat
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you very much for your help. I tried with "tranwrd" but unfortunately 0796 becomes 796 while it should not change.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Please, when you try something and it doesn't work, don't say "it doesn't work" and stop there, with no other information provided. Please, always show us the code. Please always show us the output. 

--
Paige Miller
NewUsrStat
Pyrite | Level 9
No, sorry it worked at the end. Thank you very much!
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Looks like you are trying to clean up some old ICD-9 diagnosis codes?

The COMPRESS() function call you showed would have only removed the periods.  It would not have removed the leading zero, like you showed.

Are you saying that you also need to convert strings that are too short to be valid ICD-9 code be assuming they are missing a leading zero and add it back?

Note that it is not uncommon to see invalid ICD-9 codes appear in real world data.  Data entry is hard.  And some hospital system might even be consistent at inventing their own variations on valid codes, like add the extra zero at the end on a code that does not actually need the extra zero.

Since there are only a finite number of valid ICD-9 codes it might be easier to make a table with all of the valid codes and also add in every misspelling you have found and determined how to map.  For example you might do it by making a format (or even an informat) and use that to help you both clean and detect new strange codes.

For example is 0543 supposed to be:

054.3 Herpetic meningoencephalitis

or perhaps one of these two?

• 534 Gastrojejunal ulcer
  • 534.0 Acute gastrojejunal ulcer with hemorrhage

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation