BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Thierry95
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello SAS community,

I'm a new user in SAS platform, I actually want to test the Recommender System that I found Here for my project that consists of recommending some documents from a database containing some issues faced by operators in their production line.

I'm now using a trial version of SAS Visual Analytics environment to test the Recommender System but i'm facing the frequent problem "Physical file does not exist".

I tried very times to find a solution from similar problems posted in the community but I didn't find a solution because I'm just beginning to work with SAS.

Please tell me first if I chose the best way to work on my project 🙂 .
Second: Why SAS did not recognize the file while it is loaded into the sasserver.demo.sas.com.

This is my first part of the code:

cas casauto host="sasserver.demo.sas.com" port=5570;

libname mycas cas;

/* Loading data */

filename books '/Users/chaabolla30@gmail.com/My Folder/Data/BX-books.csv' encoding="wlatin1" lrecl=32767;

data mycas.books(drop='Image'n:);
  infile books firstobs = 2 dsd delimiter = ';';
  /* Read the whole line. */
  input @;
  /* Convert HTML entities (such as &) to single characters. */
  _infile_ = htmldecode(_infile_);
  /* Convert backslash and quotation mark to double quotation marks. */
  _infile_ = tranwrd(_infile_, '\"', '""');

length tmpisbn $13.;
  length ISBN $10. Title Author Publisher varchar(*);
  length Image_URL_S Image_URL_M Image_URL_L $96.;

input tmpisbn Title Author Year_Of_Publication
    Publisher $ Image_URL_S $ Image_URL_M $ Image_URL_L $;

/* Restrict the data to books with a 10 digit ISBN only. */
  if (length(tmpisbn)) ne 10 then delete;
  isbn = tmpisbn;
  drop tmpisbn;
run;

Please check the screenshots below and help me and I'll be grateful :')).

log.PNGcode.PNG

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Thierry95
Obsidian | Level 7

For any one who faced this problem, you will faced this problem you will find here the Solution.

Thank you very much @joeFurbee 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Thierry95
Obsidian | Level 7

Pleaase answer me :((

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I think the error message is relatively clear. The file you name does not exist.

You have to go into your operating system and determine the exact complete proper name of the file of interest, and make sure you are using it.

--
Paige Miller
Thierry95
Obsidian | Level 7

This trial version did not accept a path from windows because it is running under a Linux System.

I tried to import my file like described in this screenshot:

11.PNG

Is this a bad solution ? 

Thank you Mr Paige Miller

Thierry95
Obsidian | Level 7

Is these anyone can help me ?

Amir
PROC Star

Not really sure what the problem is. If you try to right-click on the file in the file exploring window you've shown, does it give you an option to see the full file path, e.g. under "Properties" or a similar option?

If it does show you the full file path, try seeing if it is the same as the one you're using or better still, try using the path that it shows you.

Regards,

Amir.

Thierry95
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello and thank you for your reply,

Yes I am actually using the same path shown in "Properties" as it is described below.

When I upload the file to the server it creates that path that will not be considered existing when trying to work with.

filename books '/Users/chaabolla30@gmail.com/My Folder/Data/BX-books.csv' encoding="wlatin1" lrecl=32767;

Thank you,

Thierry

Amir
PROC Star

I assume you have made sure that letters are all in the correct case where they need to be, i.e. upper / lower case?

Thierry95
Obsidian | Level 7

I am copying the path as it it is shown in "Properties" and I verified that al letters in the path are all in the correct case.

I am wondering that it is not possible to recognize the physical because of the version I use ( SAS Visual Analytics). The README of the example is shown below: 

Recommender.PNG

Thierry95
Obsidian | Level 7

is there any solution ?

Amir
PROC Star

If this is part of a course then I think you will need to contact the course organisers.

If this is something that SAS provide then I think you might have to contact SAS Technical Support.

Alternatively you could try asking the question on another forum, e.g. Stack Overflow (https://stackoverflow.com/) to see if anyone there can help.

Regards,

Amir.

Thierry95
Obsidian | Level 7

For any one who faced this problem, you will faced this problem you will find here the Solution.

Thank you very much @joeFurbee 

Amir
PROC Star

Well done on pursuing it & receiving an answer, and thanks for updating this question with the solution.

Amir.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation