BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
trungdungtran
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

I have received an Excel file, where the date column is written in two formats: 7/nov/13 and 21oct2010. I can manually change the three month letter into /mon/ format in Excel.

However, I would like to do that only in SAS. When I use

Libname abc xlsx "~\abc.xlsx";

data abc;
	set abc.Sheet1;
run;

The date column returns SAS Output 41585 and 21oct2010. I check with proc contents and the format for the date is char.

Do you have any idea of reading mixture date formats?

Thank you for reading my question!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I'd return such **** to sender.

Since you now have it as character in SAS, this means the following:

- 21oct2010 is stored in Excel as a string, causing the column to be considered character by libname xlsx

- therefore you get the raw numeric value of the real Excel date converted to a string in the same column

You can conditionally convert such values:

data have;
input column :$10.;
cards;
21oct2010
;
run;

data want;
set have;
if length(column) > 5
then mydate = input(column,date9.);
else mydate = input(column,5.) + '30dec1899'd;
format mydate e8601da10.;
run;

This will of course work only until the sender comes up with another surprise for you.

Edit: corrected the date offset for Excel according to @Tom's advice.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Save as CSV, read in that variable using the anydtdte. informat.

Save as CSV, read in as text, then convert.

Fix the bad data at source.

Ditch Excel.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I'd return such **** to sender.

Since you now have it as character in SAS, this means the following:

- 21oct2010 is stored in Excel as a string, causing the column to be considered character by libname xlsx

- therefore you get the raw numeric value of the real Excel date converted to a string in the same column

You can conditionally convert such values:

data have;
input column :$10.;
cards;
21oct2010
;
run;

data want;
set have;
if length(column) > 5
then mydate = input(column,date9.);
else mydate = input(column,5.) + '30dec1899'd;
format mydate e8601da10.;
run;

This will of course work only until the sender comes up with another surprise for you.

Edit: corrected the date offset for Excel according to @Tom's advice.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Great answer, except the conversion factor is a little off. 

1) SAS considers zero the first day and Excel considers the first day as number one.

2) Excel thinks that 1900 was a leap year.

So you can either use '30DEC1899'd as your constant or subtract an additional 2 days.

trungdungtran
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you all for your help!

I will try to ask the source to fix the column first, otherwise the solution here is perfect.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The goal has to be to reduce the process to the least necessary steps, and to make it error-proof in the sense that the process detects problems at the earliest possible moment.

The way to do this is to use a stable and reliable data transfer format (which implicitly disqualifies Excel files), and data steps that are custom-written to the file specification and will throw an error when unexpected data (unexpected either through content or format) is fed into them.

All my ETL jobs follow this guideline, and the only problems that "slip through" are of a semantic type where completely plausible data is given that later is found to be logically defective.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation