BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
apat861
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I am using SAS9.4 or SAS EG on my local machine on windows 10 operating system. I have stored SAS format datasets on Microsoft Azure ADBL cloud environment. I want to know how can I read those datasets using SAS9.4 or SAS EG?

5 REPLIES 5
SASKiwi
PROC Star

How did you store them there in the first place? Were they created by you originally using your Windows SAS?

apat861
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

The SAS datasets were provided by third party vendor, and I have uploaded SAS datasets on Microsoft Azure ADLS using Azure Blob.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Did the vendor provide details of how they were created? Like which OS and SAS version was used? I suggest you copy one of them back to your PC and try reading it as a test with your Windows SAS:

libname MyTest 'c:\MyFolder';

If this doesn't work then you are going to have to request the SAS data again in transport format.

apat861
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I can read those files on my location computer using libname statement. But I do not know how to read datasets stored in Microsoft Azure ADLS2 cloud?

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

SAS Viya has support for assigning a fileref to Azure Blob Storage -- see documentation here.

However, in SAS 9.4, you might need to use Microsoft APIs for this. See the Azure Files APIs documentation. The solution would use PROC HTTP to drive these REST APIs to "download" the files you need to your local system, where you could then assign a library and read with your local SAS. One of the tricky parts may be in the authorization, because each API call will need an authorization key. This key can be provisioned by one of several methods, some of which may require setup from your Azure/tenant admin.

Learn from the Experts! Check out the huge catalog of free sessions in the Ask the Expert webinar series.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation