BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Jarot741
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

First of, I have seen different "solved" posts regarding this subject. I am a very new sas user and even with those directions I cant derive to a solution.

Background:

I have several datasets (.csv format) that were meant to be put together in Postgres, but I am trying to learn  how to use SAS and would like to combine them in SAS. Keyword to combine is a numeric variable patientUnitStayID (Somewhere around a million observations and 300 variables total)

Problem:

I have been doing so by merging tables, but every now and then I get this annoying "out of space message"

Questions:

Is there a quick and dirty solution for this? (besides buying more storage)

Thank you in advance,

JG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
Create a library called users that points to where you want the files to be stored. Likely a subfolder under myfolders. You’ll have to manually clean it up though. And you’ll also need to set up the user library whenever you start up. You can add it to your autoexec to do that.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Try adding this statement at the start of your program: options compress = binary; This will compress all of the SAS datasets written after this statement and may give you enough breathing room to avoid running out of space.

Jarot741
Calcite | Level 5

SASKiwi,

Thank you for your tip!, I will use it tonight and for sure let you know.

Thanks again,

JG

Reeza
Super User
Are you using SAS UE?
Did you redirect your work library?
What are your RAM settings for the VM?

One million observations isn't much, but 300 variables is. Make sure you're not keeping multiple copies around as well, that will problematic.
Jarot741
Calcite | Level 5

Reeza,

If you have time to show me how to redirect the work library on my mac I would really appreciate it.

And yes I am using SAS UE.

I owe you the VM settings (I am not using that PC right now).

Thanks again,

JG

Reeza
Super User
Create a library called users that points to where you want the files to be stored. Likely a subfolder under myfolders. You’ll have to manually clean it up though. And you’ll also need to set up the user library whenever you start up. You can add it to your autoexec to do that.
Jarot741
Calcite | Level 5

It worked! Thanks again!

JG

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation