BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
easthill93
Calcite | Level 5

Please help me with Lesson4 Reading and Filtering data_level 2 practice.

These are the following instructions.

1. Write a DATA step to read the np_species table and create a new table named fox as a permanent table in the EPG194/output folder.
  2. Include only the rows where Category is Mammal and Common_Names includes Fox in any case.
  3. Exclude the Category, Record_Status, Occurrence, and Nativeness columns from the output data.
  4. Add the condition in the WHERE statement to exclude rows that include Squirrel.
  5. Submit the program.

< My Answer>

data fox;
	set pg1.np_species;
	where Category="mammal" and upcase(Common_Names) like '%fox%'
	and upcase(Common_Names) not like '%squirrel%';
	drop Category Record_Status Occurrence Nativeness;
run;

Q1> When I  run this code, the LOG says that "There were 0 observations read from the data set PG1.NP_Species". (Please refer to the box below). I wrote my code exactly the same as the answer provided. I don't know why there are 0 observations.

NOTE: There were 0 observations read from the data set PG1.NP_SPECIES.
       WHERE (Category='mammal') and UPCASE(Common_Names) like '%fox%' and UPCASE(Common_NAmes) not like '%squirrel%';
 NOTE: The data set WORK.FOX has 0 observations and 7 variables.
 NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
       real time           0.49 seconds
       cpu time            0.24 seconds

Q2> I'm confused when to use single quotes or double quotes around the text string when using the LIKE operator. In this question, the answer explained that I must use single quotes because % symbols enclosed in double quotes invoke macro language. I don't understand what this means.

Please answer these questions.

Thank you very much. 

5 REPLIES 5
VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

did you assign the library PG1 when you started SAS?

you have to run the libname assignment or put it into you autoexec file each time you start SAS.

I think that was in the first assignments about setting up the library each time.

easthill93
Calcite | Level 5

Yes. I run the libname assignment so that I have PG1 file in My Libraries before I start to write code. 

easthill93
Calcite | Level 5

I solved it! 

It turned out that my WHERE statement was incorrect. 

<Previous Answer>

data fox;
	set pg1.np_species;
	where Category="Mammal" and upcase(Common_Names) like '%fox%' and 
    upcase(Common_Names) not like '%squirrel%';
run;

<Revised Answer>

data fox;
	set pg1.np_species;
	where Category="Mammal" and Common_Names like '%Fox%' and 
    Common_Names not like '%Squirrel%';
run;

I changed the part that Common_Names include Fox in any case and exclude Squirrel in the WHERE statement.

Thank you very much for your help. 

Astounding
PROC Star
Here are some clues to get you moving.

When examining character strings, capitalization matters. These 3 strings are all different:

Mammal
MAMMAL
mammal

Similarly, these 3 are all different:

Fox
FOX
fox

On a related note, when you apply the UPCASE function to a character string, there is no way the result can contain a lowercase letter.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation