BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
WarrenKuhfeld
Ammonite | Level 13

Let me follow up on my line mode comment. When I was a SAS developer, I did most of my editing in emacs. I developed some emacs commands to write the entire buffer, from the point down, a marked region, or the next step to a file then automatically %include that file in the SAS line mode window. It was like my personal display manager. Now granted, as a SAS developer, my methods of using SAS were different than most users. I would at times enable debugging code, and I always wanted to see those results in amongst the log and output. It worked really well for me, and a number of my colleagues used my emacs tools. As primitive as line mode seems, I found it highly effective when coupled with some SAS-specific editing capabilities.

rasmuslarsen
Obsidian | Level 7
Line mode sounds good. However it is only on Linux right?
I am on Windows (I should have written that in the question).
WarrenKuhfeld
Ammonite | Level 13

I used Unix for most of my career, so haven't tried it, but this should be helpful. https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/hostwin/p16esisc4nrd5sn1ps5l6u8f79k6.htm#n1rc...

Reeza
Super User
RStudio would have had two or three output windows as well. You would have had the console which is the log, then you would have any RMD or Output files which are more similar to ODS output files and the plots in the bottom right corner. You can use a Jupyter Notebook with SAS, perhaps that will get you closer to the same type of functionality you need.

rasmuslarsen
Obsidian | Level 7

No. Working in an rscript typically looks like this:

rasmuslarsen_1-1626780296372.png

Both the results and the log-messages goes in the console.

Any plots generated are either in side panel or popup-window.

The output of an Rmarkdown is the same, but can also be inline (in the source window), or indeed as a third window when generating the whole Rmarkdown, but this is typically done rarely or at the end of a session.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 7 in conversation