gbond21
Obsidian | Level 7
data clinical1;
length str $300;
 set clinical;
  by pat_id;
  retain str "";

if first.pat_id then str=event_res; 
  else str=catx('@',str,event_res); /*Concatenate String and use @ or any other     symbol to identify the Levels*/
  str=TRANWRD(str,'],',']@') ;

if last.pat_id;
  str="@"||str;

drop event_res;
run;

I have a dataset that has two variables Pat_ID and STR.

The STR variable has multiple values within the cell with each value corresponding to a level. The levels range from 1 to 5 and some cells have contain different values that correspond to the same level.

For example PAT_ID ...0250 has two level 3 events vital signs and blood. I would like to create a table that parses out each value based on its level. so PAT_ID 0250 would have two level 3 columns one for vital signs and the other for blood. Thanks for the help!

Capture.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
gbond21
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks all!

Not exactly, that code concatenates the columns, I would like this string from the STR column(which is a result from the above code):

@Triage and Initial RN Assessment only [level 1]@Blood-peripheral venous [level 3]@Oral meds [level 3]@Patient transport X-ray/CT [Level 4]@Admission or O.R. preparation [level 5]@Triage and Initial RN Assessment only [level 1]@Blood-peripheral venous [level 3]@Oral meds [level 3]@Patient transport

to display in a separate table as:

Capture.PNG

Reeza
Super User
You need to provide sample data then and perhaps someone will help. An image means someone has to type out the text.
gbond21
Obsidian | Level 7

Sorry about that, new to this!

The sample data and sample desired output are attached to this message in the excel file on seperate sheets. 

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation