BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
zdeb15
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

I am using PROC GCHART and am trying to change the pattern color of my HBAR depending on a variable..

I am posting my code below...

Based on the variable FallRed being 1 or 0  will determine if my bar color should be red = 1 or green <> 1.

I cannot figure out how to incorporate my FallRed 1,0 into my pattern statement to change the color of my bar depending on the 1 or 0.

data Want; set Have;

if (floor = 'Floor 2'
or floor = 'Floor 3'
or floor = 'Floor 4'
AND Fall7 > &falltarget)
then FallRed = 1;
else FallRed = 0;

run;

goptions reset=all device=javaimg xpixels=300 ypixels=220; /*required for dial output */

pattern1 color=Red;/*controls floor 2 bar color */
pattern2 color=Red;/*controls floor 3 bar color */
pattern3 color=Red;/*controls floor 4 bar color */
Axis1
STYLE=1
WIDTH=1
LABEL=NONE /*shows label on axis */
order=("Floor 2" "Floor 3" "Floor 4")

;
Axis2
STYLE=0
WIDTH=1
MAJOR=NONE /*shows major tick marks */
MINOR=NONE /*shows minor tick marks */
LABEL=NONE /*shows label on axis */
VALUE=NONE
;
TITLE &titlstuf "Number of Falls (Last 7 Days)";
PROC GCHART DATA=HAVE
;
HBAR
Floor
/discrete type=sum
SUMVAR=Fall7 patternid=midpoint
CLIPREF
space=10
NOFRAME TYPE=SUM
OUTSIDE=SUM
COUTLINE=SAME
MAXIS=AXIS1
RAXIS=AXIS2
;

QUIT;

8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User
Are you required to use GCHART? I would highly recommend new SAS graphs use SGPLOT instead and in this case you could control the color and symbols using a data attribute map.
ballardw
Super User

Gchart and Gplot tend to assign the first pattern or symbol statement values to the first encountered value, second and others likewise. As such unless you 1) sort the data by the variable of interest to set the order and 2) ALWAYS have the same values in the variable your request tends to be moderately awkward to accomplish at best.

The Sgplot and Sgpanel procedures, as well as graph templates you create, can use a special data set called a DATTRMAP, for discrete attribute map, to consistently display the same color/ marker/ line type/ pattern fill for a give value for a variable used as a Group variable.

zdeb15
Calcite | Level 5

Can you please provide an example on how you would conditionally change the bar colors using DATTRMAP?

Reeza
Super User

data myattrmap;
length linecolor $ 9 fillcolor $ 9;
input ID $ value $ linecolor $ fillcolor $;
datalines;
myid  F pink pink
myid  M lightblue lightblue
;
run;

proc sgplot data=sashelp.class dattrmap=myattrmap;
vbar age / response=height group=sex groupdisplay=cluster attrid=myid;
run;

There's an example. You can use fill colour changes the bar color the line colour changes the outline of the bars colour.

Edit: add source reference:

https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=grstatproc&docsetTarget=n18szqcwir8q2nn10od9hhdh2ksj.htm&doc...

@zdeb15 wrote:

Can you please provide an example on how you would conditionally change the bar colors using DATTRMAP?

zdeb15
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying something like this:

data dattrmap; set Top7Summarized;

value=Fall7;
length FILLCOLOR $8;
id = 'xcolor';

if FallRed=1 then FILLCOLOR= 'Red'; else FILLCOLOR='Green';

run;

proc sort data=dattrmap; by ID; run;

proc sgplot data=dattrmap dattrmap=dattrmap noautolegend noborder nowall ; ods graphics / noborder;

Hbar Floor/response=Fall7 attrid=xcolor dataskin=crisp fill ;

run;

This returns the graph I want but the color of the bars remain grey. Am I able to change bar colors based on an if statement? Or can I only hard set the colors?

Reeza
Super User
Time to provide some sample data - I think the structure of your data is problematic here - and what you want as the output. You can mock it up in Excel and post here as image please.
zdeb15
Calcite | Level 5
data want;
length Floor $10;
infile datalines delimiter=',';
input Floor $ Fall7 FallRed ;
datalines;
Floor 2,2,1
Floor 3,1,0,
Floor 4,0,0
;
run;

data dattrmap; set want;

value=Fall7;
length FILLCOLOR $8;
id = 'xcolor';

if FallRed=1 then FILLCOLOR= 'Red'; else FILLCOLOR='Green';
output;

run;

proc sgplot data=dattrmap dattrmap=dattrmap noautolegend noborder nowall ; ods graphics / noborder;
Hbar Floor/response=Fall7 group= floor groupdisplay=cluster attrid=xcolor dataskin=crisp fill
;
run;

Does this help?
Reeza
Super User

What you're doing here is conditional formatting based on a a specific value of Floor it seems? You need to uniquely identify the groups somehow. This seems to work for your example data. I suspect it may not work for your real data if you've oversimplified your example data set.

data dattrmap; set want;

value=Floor;
length FILLCOLOR $8;
id = 'floor';

if Floor='Floor 2' then FILLCOLOR= 'Red'; else FILLCOLOR='Green';
output;

keep id value fillcolor;
run;

proc sgplot data=want dattrmap=dattrmap noautolegend noborder nowall ; ods graphics / noborder;
Hbar Floor/response=Fall7 group= floor groupdisplay=cluster attrid=floor dataskin=crisp fill
;
run;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation