BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
FEFE90
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,
Can anyone help me solve this question? I am not sure where I am mistaken.

Q : HOW MANY FIRM HAVING AVERAGE COMMON EQUITY/TOTAL ASSET RATIO GREATER THAN 50%? 

data TOPCOM_TIC; set Q_COMP_SHORT10_18;
keep TIC CEQQ ATQ COM_EQ;
COM_EQ = CEQQ/ATQ;
run;

proc sort data=TOPCOM_TIC ;  
BY descending TIC COM_EQ;
RUN; 

proc means data=TOPCOM_TIC;
var COM_EQ ; BY TIC ;
output out=avg_CE
mean=avg_CE_TIC;
run;

Proc freq data=TOPCOM_TIC;
by COM_EQ ;
table TIC /out=Q6;
run;

data Q6; set Q6;
if COM_EQ>=50 ;
run;
Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

What do you mean by "not running"?   I.e., what is the sas log telling you?  If we could see the log, we might be able to provide more effective assistance.

However, to see if I understand the object:  you want to calculate for each firm (variable TIC), the average ratio of quarterly reports of common equity (CEQ) to total assets (ATQ), right?   It looks to me like you are using COMPUSTAT data.

To do this you, don't need to sort - you can use the CLASS statement in proc means to get averages for each TIC:

COM_EQ = CEQQ/ATQ;
run;

proc means data=topcom_tic noprint nway;
  class tic;
  var com_eq;
  output out=stats (where=(_stat_='MEAN'));
run;

data need;
  set stats;
  over_under=sign(com_eq-.5);
run;

proc freq data=need;
  tables over_under;
run;

1. The PROC MEANS has an NWAYS option.  Otherwise the output dataset would include not only the averages for each TIC ("one way" results), but also the global average ("zero way").  NWAY says to generate only the highest combination of CLASS variables  (for instance, if you had "CLASS SIC COUNTRY;", you would get only the two-way means for all SIC*COUNTRY combinations.).
  2. The data need step just makes a variable with +1 for ratio over .5, and -1 for ration < .5.  (exactly .5 leaves COM_EQ as a missing, so perhaps you would prefer    "OVER_NOTOVER= (com_eq>= 0.5);"
--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Norman21
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

COM_EQ is a simple ratio, not a percentage.

Try changing the penultimate line from

if COM_EQ>=50 ;

to

if COM_EQ>=0.5 ;

Norman.
SAS 9.4 (TS1M6) X64_10PRO WIN 10.0.17763 Workstation

FEFE90
Calcite | Level 5

I changed to 0.5 but I think something is incorrect with the proc means code. Any idea?

Norman21
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Have you inspected the data files? Are any of the values greater than 0.5?

Norman.

FEFE90
Calcite | Level 5

yes, there are a few that greater than 0.5

Norman21
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

In Q6?

Norman.

FEFE90
Calcite | Level 5

the code is not running from proc means, so the ones after that show errors. Should I change it from Q6 to TOPCOM_TIC. 

Thank you

mkeintz
PROC Star

What do you mean by "not running"?   I.e., what is the sas log telling you?  If we could see the log, we might be able to provide more effective assistance.

However, to see if I understand the object:  you want to calculate for each firm (variable TIC), the average ratio of quarterly reports of common equity (CEQ) to total assets (ATQ), right?   It looks to me like you are using COMPUSTAT data.

To do this you, don't need to sort - you can use the CLASS statement in proc means to get averages for each TIC:

COM_EQ = CEQQ/ATQ;
run;

proc means data=topcom_tic noprint nway;
  class tic;
  var com_eq;
  output out=stats (where=(_stat_='MEAN'));
run;

data need;
  set stats;
  over_under=sign(com_eq-.5);
run;

proc freq data=need;
  tables over_under;
run;

1. The PROC MEANS has an NWAYS option.  Otherwise the output dataset would include not only the averages for each TIC ("one way" results), but also the global average ("zero way").  NWAY says to generate only the highest combination of CLASS variables  (for instance, if you had "CLASS SIC COUNTRY;", you would get only the two-way means for all SIC*COUNTRY combinations.).
  2. The data need step just makes a variable with +1 for ratio over .5, and -1 for ration < .5.  (exactly .5 leaves COM_EQ as a missing, so perhaps you would prefer    "OVER_NOTOVER= (com_eq>= 0.5);"
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

FEFE90
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation