BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
HansP
Calcite | Level 5

Is it possible to calculate the OR for the risk of doubling the value of X?

I know that I can use UNITS = 1 or UNITS = SD, but I don't understand that people are reporting ORs for doubling X, as doubling might be from X = 1 to X = 2 (that's a one unit change) but also e.g. from X = 2 to X = 4 (which is a 2 unit change). This would give different ORs. Therefore, I wonder if it is possible to calculated just one OR for doubling a specific covariate.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

If the model was linear in the logit for a logarithmically transformed predictor, then I would apply this transformation. However, if the linearity assumption was rather satisfied with the untransformed predictor, then I wouldn't transform it. In this case the "OR for the risk of doubling the value of" this predictor would "naturally" depend on the predictor value (1 vs. 2 unlike 2 vs. 4, etc.).

@HansP wrote:

In a univariate model  = X compared to model = Log(X)/Log(2), the p-value also changes.

Yes, I would expect this behavior because it's a nonlinear transformation. The question is: Is there a good reason for the logarithmic transformation, e.g., in terms of model assumptions (see above), goodness-of-fit, theoretical considerations?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @HansP and welcome to the SAS Support Communities!

You could derive a new covariate L=log(X)/log(2) and then compute the odds ratio per one-unit increase in L.

Example (target odds ratio: 2.34):

/* Create test data for demonstration */

data test;
call streaminit(3141592);
do id=1 to 1000000;
  X=rand('uniform',0.5,5);
  L=log(X)/log(2);
  p=logistic(-3.45+log(2.34)*L);
  event=rand('bern',p);
  output;
end;
run;

/* Estimate odds ratio for doubling X */

proc logistic data=test desc;
model event=L;
run;

/* Check two empirical odds ratios */

proc freq data=test;
where round(x,.1) in (1,2);
format x 1.;
tables x*event / or nopercent nocol norow;
run;

proc freq data=test;
where round(x,.1) in (2,4);
format x 1.;
tables x*event / or nopercent nocol norow;
run;

PROC LOGISTIC output (excerpt):

Odds Ratio Estimates

Point          95% Wald
Effect    Estimate      Confidence Limits

L            2.335       2.310       2.360

PROC FREQ output (excerpts):

X         event

Frequency|       0|       1|  Total
---------+--------+--------+
       1 |  21706 |    698 |  22404
       2 |  20721 |   1557 |  22278
Total       42427     2255    44682

Statistic                        Value       95% Confidence Limits
------------------------------------------------------------------
Odds Ratio                      2.3367        2.1328        2.5600

Sample Size = 44682

X         event

Frequency|       0|       1|  Total
       2 |  20721 |   1557 |  22278
       4 |  18811 |   3285 |  22096
Total       39532     4842    44374

Statistic                        Value       95% Confidence Limits
------------------------------------------------------------------
Odds Ratio                      2.3241        2.1812        2.4763

Sample Size = 44374

HansP
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you very much for your answer.

What about using this in a multivariable model? Should I transform all continuous variables using log(X)/log(2)?

In a univariate model  = X compared to model = Log(X)/Log(2), the p-value also changes.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

If the model was linear in the logit for a logarithmically transformed predictor, then I would apply this transformation. However, if the linearity assumption was rather satisfied with the untransformed predictor, then I wouldn't transform it. In this case the "OR for the risk of doubling the value of" this predictor would "naturally" depend on the predictor value (1 vs. 2 unlike 2 vs. 4, etc.).

@HansP wrote:

Yes, I would expect this behavior because it's a nonlinear transformation. The question is: Is there a good reason for the logarithmic transformation, e.g., in terms of model assumptions (see above), goodness-of-fit, theoretical considerations?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation