BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AMMAN
Obsidian | Level 7

First time poster and a bright green SAS programmer.  I have a data set I'm using for a class assignment.   Variables are Date, Time, Transaction ID and Item.   I need to identify how many Items were purchased in a single Transaction.  As you can see, some Transactions only contain one Item, while others have multiple.  I need the following variables:  Date, Time, Items Per Transaction.

Any help would be appreciated!  I am using EG 7.1

Bakery2.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

Items or Unique Items? In your example transaction 2 it appears that 2 of the same item may have been purchased. So would you want a count of 1 or 2 for that transaction?

AMMAN
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi - total items per transaction please.  

Thanks

A

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Unable to test since you didn't provide sample in as plain text

Perhaps?

proc sql;

create table want as

select trans,count(distinct items) as tot

from have

group by trans

quit;

or just 

count(items)

V_27
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi @AMMAN

I am not understanding what exactly you are looking for but here is an attempt.

data want;
set have(drop=Items);
by Transaction;
if first.Transaction then count=0;
count+1;
if last.Transaction then output;
run;
Astounding
PROC Star

Here's a simple way, but its relevance depends on what the results should be (see below).

proc freq data=have;

tables transaction * date * time / noprint out=want (keep=transaction date time count);

run;

It gives you a data set WANT that contains a new variable COUNT.  Note that COUNT will be 2 (not 1) for transaction #2.  There were two items in the data, but they are the same.  While this solution can be adapted, as it stands it counts both of the identical items.

AMMAN
Obsidian | Level 7

I forgot the data set!  Here it is.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation