BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
priyanka14
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I need help on SAS EG Code for my below problem. I am usins SAS EG version 7.1

I have a dataset which includes few columns. The excel file is attached with the mail.

I have mentioned the input and output sheet ( the way i want my output).

My problem statment :

in input sheet, first i want to sort the month column by descending order for each category and then i have to first find out the number less than 3 in "used" column for each variable in "category" column . Then i have to select  all the rows which are below that number ( less than 3 , ex 2) . This i need to do for each variable in "category" column. 

I got stuck with this almost from 2 days and not even able to proceed further.

Your quick support will highly appreciated.

Thanks

Priyanka

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tsap
Pyrite | Level 9

I'm not sure what the issue is with the prior solution. The dataset output in the end matches the exact requirements you just stated in your reply.

snapshot_dummydata.PNG

As you can clearly see, for Category A the output dataset has from Jul18th to Jan18. So based on your criteria provided, the code is performing as you need it to perform.All of the 'non-highlighted rows' in your screenshot are the observations on my screen shot. And I just ran my logic to generate this.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
tsap
Pyrite | Level 9
/*   DUMMY DATASET   */
DATA WORK.HAVE;
FORMAT 	 Category $1. 	Month MonYY5.	used 8.	new_used 8.	variety $3.;
INFORMAT Category $1. 	Month MonYY5.	used 8.	new_used 8.	variety $3.;
INPUT    Category	    Month	        used	new_used	variety;
INFILE DATALINES DLM='|' DSD;
DATALINES;
A|Jan-18|6|20|MI
B|Jan-18|8|20|MI
C|Jan-18|8|20|AZ
D|Jan-18|8|20|AZ
A|Feb-18|5|20|AP
B|Feb-18|12|20|AP
C|Feb-18|23|20|MI
D|Feb-18|23|20|MI
A|Mar-18|5|20|NOK
B|Mar-18|3|20|NOK
C|Mar-18|3|20|AP
D|Mar-18|3|20|AP
A|Apr-18|10|20|AC
B|Apr-18|18|20|AC
C|Apr-18|18|20|NOK
D|Apr-18|18|20|NOK
A|May-18|9|20|PS
B|May-18|5|20|PS
C|May-18|5|20|AC
D|May-18|5|20|AC
A|Jun-18|8|20|CD
B|Jun-18|6|20|CD
C|Jun-18|6|20|PS
D|Jun-18|6|20|PS
A|Jul-18|3|20|MI
B|Jul-18|7|20|MI
C|Jul-18|7|20|CD
A|Aug-18|2|2|EH
B|Aug-18|2|2|EH
C|Aug-18|2|2|MI
D|Aug-18|2|2|CD
A|Sep-18|12|20|EF
B|Sep-18|12|20|EF
C|Sep-18|12|20|EH
D|Sep-18|7|20|MI
A|Oct-18|12|20|AZ
C|Oct-18|10|20|EF
;

PROC SORT DATA=WORK.HAVE; BY Category DESCENDING Month; RUN;

/*   ID MAX DATE per Category where Used value LT 3  */
PROC SQL;
CREATE TABLE WORK.WANT_A	AS
	SELECT
		  Category
		, MAX(Month)	AS MAXMONTH FORMAT=MONYY5.

FROM WORK.HAVE
	WHERE Used < 3
	GROUP BY Category
	ORDER BY Category, MAXMONTH;
QUIT;

/*   JOIN MAX DATE TABLE BACK TO FULL TABLE */
PROC SQL;
CREATE TABLE WORK.WANT_Final	AS
	SELECT
		a.*

FROM		WORK.Have		AS a
	LEFT JOIN 	WORK.WANT_A		AS b	ON a.Category=b.Category
	WHERE a.MONTH < b.MAXMONTH;
QUIT;

priyanka14
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for the respone.

Using this code, it is only removing the rows where "Used" column is less than 3 . But my requirement is also to remove all those rows which is above less than 3 Category wise. I have also attached the ouput sheet , the way i want to have my output data.

I am attaching the snap also to make it more clear . The yellow highlighted rows , i want to remove and rest i want as my output. The output should look like the same (ex category A, Month from Jul18-Jan18,used column 3-6 ....like that). Category should not be mixed. out put : first non-highlighted rows of A, then B non highlighted rows like that i want in my output.

Want to remove the highlighted rows alsoWant to remove the highlighted rows alsoI hope this will help you to understand extactly what kind of output i am looking for.I guess may be we need to put some loop .

Thanks in advance. Looking for the code .

Smiley Happy

tsap
Pyrite | Level 9

I'm not sure what the issue is with the prior solution. The dataset output in the end matches the exact requirements you just stated in your reply.

snapshot_dummydata.PNG

As you can clearly see, for Category A the output dataset has from Jul18th to Jan18. So based on your criteria provided, the code is performing as you need it to perform.All of the 'non-highlighted rows' in your screenshot are the observations on my screen shot. And I just ran my logic to generate this.

priyanka14
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks a lot.

It works . I missed a line of a code so I was facing the error.

Now I corrected it and it is working as per my expectations.

once again Thanks. Really appreciate the efforts.

Thanks

Priyanka

tsap
Pyrite | Level 9

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

priyanka14
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello ,

I am in urgent need of a SAS EG code. I need the same thing which I asked you earlier but the only thing is like now I added one more category. I have attached the excel sheet also which has input and the output which I required.

First of all , I need to sort the category, category2,Month in descending order . For each category , there are four category2 level ( 1,2,3,4).

So My requirement is that for each category and its each category2 level , first I need check used column . and in used column , I have to find out the number greater than or equal to 3 and  need to select only the continuous rows. Suppose with Category 'A' having Category2 as '4', in "used"column the data are 12,12,2,3,8,10 , then I need to select all rows only from used column data 3 ( 3,8,10)

Same thing I have highlighted in" sorted data" that whatever the data is required in output sheet.

and if in some day I have one more category after category2 like Category3 and again the I need the same kind of output looking this added category also. then can you suggest me where I need to make changes.

In this attached sheet , the input sheet and then after sorting the input sheet by category,category2 and months and then the output sheet ( the way I want my result).

Thanks

Reeza
Super User
Show the code you tried.
priyanka14
Fluorite | Level 6
Hello,
With the addition of whatever I asked earlier. Now suppose for each category , there are 4 different sub-groups.like After this category column, I have another column let say group and for category A- there r 4 grps (G1,G2,G3,G4) and same with other Categories also( G1,G2,G3,G4 ) .
Now My requirement is same like earlier one.ie.want to sort the month column by descending order for each category with its group level and then i have to first find out the number less than 3 in "used" column for each variable in "category" along with group level column . Then i have to select all the rows which are below that number ( less than 3 , ex 2) . This i need to do for each variable in "category" and its group level.

I tried to create a new column by concatenate the category and group column and then follow the same code provided by you .
But it's not working in this case. Can you suggest me what else I can do.i tried for macro also but failed
priyanka14
Fluorite | Level 6

Looking for the solution if anyone can help me out

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation