BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Banke
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello all, i observed my proc print does not show in my results viewer and there is no error in my log. Has anyone please encountered this? what can i do please? I use a SAS 9.4 windowing environment.

An example:

PROC PRINT DATA = WEEK6.FREQMERGE (OBS = 5);
RUN;

LOG:

PROC PRINT DATA = WEEK6.FREQMERGE (OBS = 5);
59 RUN;

NOTE: There were 5 observations read from the data set WEEK6.FREQMERGE.
NOTE: PROCEDURE PRINT used (Total process time):
real time 0.02 seconds
cpu time 0.01 seconds

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @Banke,

@Banke wrote:
I'm thinking it has to do with the file and not the result output.

Do you get PROC PRINT output from other datasets, e.g. SASHELP.CLASS, in the results viewer?

You can list the active ODS destinations by submitting

proc print data=sashelp.vdest;
run;

If the log of this step says

NOTE: No observations in data set SASHELP.VDEST.

you will not get any output. Otherwise it will show, e.g., LISTING or HTML or both (in the output window or results viewer, respectively).

Also check the settings in Tools → Options → Preferences... → Results. Make sure that the checkboxes "Create HTML" and "View results as they are generated" are ticked and that "View results using: Internal Browser" is selected if you want HTML output in the results viewer. If also "Save settings on exit" is ticked on the "General" tab of the Preferences dialog, these settings will be saved in your user profile (and hence persist when you close SAS and start a new session) -- unless system option RSASUSER is active. To check this, submit

%put %sysfunc(getoption(rsasuser));

and see the log.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Did you close all of the ODS output destinations?  Or forget to open any ?

Did you use PROC PRINTTO to redirect the standard listing output to an external file?

Banke
Pyrite | Level 9
I used ODS output yesterday and I tried to close it but my log shows that SAS did not recognize the command ( I tried ODS destination close, ODS _ALL_ close, ODS close commands)

I did not use PROC PRINTTO to redirect the standard listing output to an external file. Is there something I can do to reset in case the problem is that I altered the setting?

Thanks

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User
ODS _ALL_ CLOSE;

will close all of the the output destinations, which probably explains what you are seeing.

What you want to re-open depends a lot on how you are actually submitting your SAS code.

Are you using SAS directly, for example by using Display Manager?  or just typing the a command like sas myfile at the command line of your operating system?

Are you using a browser to connect to SAS/Studio to edit/submit your SAS code to SAS running somewhere?

Are you using Enterprise Guide to connect to SAS running somewhere?

Try just turning on the listing (plain old text) output and see if it helps.

ods listing;

Or just start a new SAS session and get back to you default settings.

Banke
Pyrite | Level 9
Thank you so much for your time Tom.
I am not using my SAS windowing environment with any other SAS application. I restarted a couple of times and it was still the same issue. I have this note in my log though anytime I work with the file: I don't understand it but I'm thinking it has to do with the file and not the result output.
NOTE: Data file WEEK6.THCICSAMP.DATA is in a format that is native to another host, or the file encoding does not match the
session encoding. Cross Environment Data Access will be used, which might require additional CPU resources and might reduce
performance.
I
I added listing in settings and restarted but it still did not work, instead I have my output in the output tab and not result viewer.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @Banke,

@Banke wrote:
I'm thinking it has to do with the file and not the result output.

Do you get PROC PRINT output from other datasets, e.g. SASHELP.CLASS, in the results viewer?

You can list the active ODS destinations by submitting

proc print data=sashelp.vdest;
run;

If the log of this step says

NOTE: No observations in data set SASHELP.VDEST.

you will not get any output. Otherwise it will show, e.g., LISTING or HTML or both (in the output window or results viewer, respectively).

Also check the settings in Tools → Options → Preferences... → Results. Make sure that the checkboxes "Create HTML" and "View results as they are generated" are ticked and that "View results using: Internal Browser" is selected if you want HTML output in the results viewer. If also "Save settings on exit" is ticked on the "General" tab of the Preferences dialog, these settings will be saved in your user profile (and hence persist when you close SAS and start a new session) -- unless system option RSASUSER is active. To check this, submit

%put %sysfunc(getoption(rsasuser));

and see the log.

Banke
Pyrite | Level 9
Thanks a lot, the Tools → Options → Preferences... → Results method worked. I did not click the "save settings on exit" before, i did that now and i have my ouptput in result viewer bt selcting "internal browser". I appreciate all the responders on this forum, you all are amazing.
Banke
Pyrite | Level 9

thaks. I have done all that. I used the tool-option-preference-results function to try to reset. Now I have set my output to google chrome. I am still unable to view output in sas result viewer

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Banke  - Have you tried @FreelanceReinh 's suggestion to check if you have any active output destinations? Please try this and post the result. Please ensure you have the SAS Windowing System output window open when running your tests.

Banke
Pyrite | Level 9

I used the Tools → Options → Preferences... → Results options to change my listing to internal browser and clicked on saving settings on exit in the general tab. I now have my output in result viewer, thanks a lot. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation