BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
the_fabs
Calcite | Level 5

I have a series of 58 monthly survey data sets in sas7bdat format. When I open the data I see that categorical variables (columns) are coded with numeric values (e.g., male = 0, female = 1, etc.). I was wondering if sas7bdat files contain metadata where I could see things such a description of the data set, a description of the variables, or the coding of categorical variables. If that metadata exists, how can I see it? How can I export it? From my work with Stata and R, I know data sets can have this metadata. My main concerns is that the coding of any of the variables might change throughout the 58 data sets. So, I would prefer to have this variable coding in the metadata where I can work with it more easily than if I have to check for coding changes in the documentation.

1 REPLY 1
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

The only metadata available are the variable attributes like type, length, format,.... and constraints (if any).

You can easily report on this metadata using SAS

proc contents data=<libref>.<table name>;
run;quit;

or for all tables under a libref:
proc contents data=<libref>._all_;
run;quit;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation