BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sasuser_221
Calcite | Level 5
%let dataset_list = member_1 member_2 member_3 member_4 member_5;

%let var_list = member_name coverage_st_dt coverage_end_dt policy_ext;

%macro file_process;
%let word_cnt = %sysfunc(countW(&dataset_list));
%do i = 1 %to &word_cnt;

data dataset_1;

set datamart.%qscan(%bquote(&dataset_list),&i)(keep= &var_list );
proc append base= dataset_2 data= dataset_1;
run;
%end;

%mend file_process;

%file_process;

I'm working on merging mutliple datasets into one dataset using a single macro function. I'm passing the required datasets and variables names using a macro variable. this is working fine, but in couple of datasets i don't have all the variables that I'm passing.  code is failing here. below is the code i developed so far.

My requirement is to merge the datasets, eventhough all the datasets doesn't have same variables.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
13 REPLIES 13
sasuser_221
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for your reply and its working now.

I'm getting results as expected, but with warning sometimes.

Is there any other possible way to get rid of the warnings.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@sasuser_221 wrote:

Thank you for your reply and its working now.

I'm getting results as expected, but with warning sometimes.

Is there any other possible way to get rid of the warnings.

When the data step creates WARNINGs, it is because you have variables in later datasets with a longer defined length than they had in the first dataset where they were encountered, as this might lead to truncation of data.

You have two options:

• find the maximum defined length of all variables in all your datasets; can be retrieved from dictionary.columns. Use this to create a length statement that you place before the set.
  • make sure you have a reliable data import process. Stop using proc import, read your external data with data steps where you take complete control over column attributes, according to the specifications you got along with the data. Then a sepcific variable will be defined with a consistent length across all your datasets.

The second option is to be preferred by orders of magnitude. Really. I mean it.

sasuser_221
Calcite | Level 5

I'm getting below warning

WARNING: The variable var1 in the DROP, KEEP, or RENAME list has never been referenced.

how to overcome this type of warning?

Reeza
Super User

Check your DROP, KEEP/RENAME statements to see if any reference a variable that no longer exists for some reason. 

You can comment out each one and run it and see which generates the error and then fix that one. 

@sasuser_221 wrote:

WARNING: The variable var1 in the DROP, KEEP, or RENAME list has never been referenced.

sasuser_221
Calcite | Level 5

i'm using a loop to iterate through multiple datasets and a macro variable with all the variable that I need from the datasets.

the catch is not all datasets have all the variables that I'm pulling, that is why I'm getting a warning.

Reeza
Super User
If not all datasets have the variables, then you have the warning correctly. You can either turn off the warning or live with it if you don't want to change the code to adapt for the variables that may not exist.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@sasuser_221 wrote:

Set the DKRICOND option to NOWARN.

https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=lesysoptsref&docsetTarget=p11ksgdhjx7369n1dpiry84z7gjn.htm&d...

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@sasuser_221 wrote:

The code I gave you (and which you accepted as solution) CAN NOT cause this WARNING, as it does not have a drop, keep or rename.

Reeza
Super User

Any reason not to use the shortcut operator?

data want;
set datamart.member_1 - datamart.member_5;

keep &var_list;
run;

PROC APPEND cannot add new variables. In general, I would recommend creating a master data set that has the types and all the variables you want and then append into that data set. I usually use PROC SQL to create those empty tables, though if you have a table that is like that you can make the skeleton table easily using obs=0 option. Then use the skeleton table in your PROC APPEND as your base. I'm just labeling it skeleton for illustration purposes you can call it whatever  you'd like.

*make skeleton;

data skeleton;
set tableProperties (obs=0);
run;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Perhaps you just need to change the setting for the DKRICOND option?

Why not have your macro generate code like this?

options dkricond=nowarn;
data want ;
  set member_1(keep=&var_list)
      member_2(keep=&var_list)
  ;
run;
ballardw
Super User

@sasuser_221 wrote:

My requirement is to merge the datasets, eventhough all the datasets doesn't have same variables.

In general SAS terms 'MERGE' means a side-by-side combination, usually on a common value(s).

data like:

Name age

John   16

Name  grade

John     A

and a merge results in

Name age grade

John   16   A

Since you mention append that would be a vertical stacking or use of SET statements in a data step.

Ksharp
Super User

Try add an option:

proc append base= dataset_2 data= dataset_1   force  ;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation