BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
cpcb123
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, 

I am still quite new to SAS, so I'm looking for help. I'm trying to create a new variable that accumulates a numeric variable, Data Value, and is specific to the year 2020 for each state. My current data has multiple entries for each state for 2020 because there are observations for each month. I'm not interested in the months, just the year totals per state. My current code is:

data FinalOutput;
set Final.opioiddeaths;
where Indicator='Number of Drug Overdose Deaths';
keep State Indicator Year 'Data Value'n TotalDeaths;
by State;
if Year='2020' then output;
retain TotalDeaths 0;
TotalDeaths=TotalDeaths+'Data Value'n;
run;

The output shows only the observations for 2020. However, my new variable TotalDeaths is an accumulation of Data Values from all years. Is there a way in the data step for only the TotalDeaths in 2020 to accumulate by State? If this changes anything, I considered grouping it by Year but I need to do it by State as I am using it to merge tables later on. 

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

@cpcb123 , can you show us som esample of your data? Makes it much easier to provide a usable code answer.

cpcb123
Calcite | Level 5

This is my current output. Is there anything else I can send to help as well?

Screenshot (9).png

PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

So you want all observations from your original data set, but you want to accumulate the variable TotalDeaths when year = 2020. Is that correct?

Otherwise, please be very specific about what your data looks like (preferably posted as a data step) and your desired result. 

cpcb123
Calcite | Level 5
Yes, that is correct. However, would it be easier to assign TotalDeaths as a sum of Data Value for each state in 2020? I'm sorry I know that is not my original question
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

It depends on what you want to do? If your desired result is a simple sum grouped by State for the year 2020, then there is no need for an accumulated variable in a data step.

cpcb123
Calcite | Level 5
Yes true. How would I create that sum then?
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Needless to say, this code is untested since I do not have workable data. 

See if you can use this as a template.

proc summary data = Final.opioiddeaths nway;
   where year = 2020;
   class state;
   var DataValue;
   output out = want sum =;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation