BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
vickys
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Guru's,

I am struck up with the logic in maintaining the DB2 table with only 30 days data.
In detail :
I will load the DB2 table through SAS Job daily. So, once the 31st day date is loaded then the first day data should be deleted or archived like FIFO( 30days).
so every time I should maintain only 30 days data.
How can I do that. Can some one please help with user written code.
Appreciate your inputs

Thanks,
Vicks

7 REPLIES 7
vickys
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Kurt,

Yes that works, but I am loading daily data into my DB2 table and I am looking to update this  table every day so, that the more than 30 days records gets deleted.

Thanks,
Vicks

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@vickys wrote:

Thanks Kurt,

Yes that works, but I am loading daily data into my DB2 table and I am looking to update this  table every day so, that the more than 30 days records gets deleted.

Thanks,
Vicks

That's exactly what the where condition does, it only keeps observations younger than 30 days. Apply it to your existing dataset:

data new;
set
  old (where=(date > today() - 30))
  import
;
run;
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
@Kurt_Bremser I believe that @vickys doesn't want to reload all 30 days each day. Rather add today's data and drop the 31st day data, and not touching the other 29 days.
If data volumes are fairly small I would go the reload path as Kurt suggests.
Otherwise, you need some kind of DB2 syntax, like a partitioned table. This drives syntax, especially for creating and dropping partitions.
Data never sleeps
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Ups, yeah, the OP is talking about an operation within DB/2. With DB/2 (or any DBMS), one can selectively delete the older observations, as that will really free the spaces (what you don't get with SAS, where space is freed only with a complete rewrite).

vickys
Obsidian | Level 7
Yes @LinusH. ok so we can do that in DB2 not in sas DI you mean?
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
You can do it from DI. but you probably need to use DB2 specific syntax.
Suggest that you first develop working code in DB2, then implement it in DI.
Data never sleeps

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation