BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
shawn123
Obsidian | Level 7
%macro output;
%do i=1 %to 10;
data output&i;

%if &i lt 5 %then assignment="&i";; /*??????*/
run;
%end;
%mend;
%output;

why I need double semicolon? what condition do I need double semicolon?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

The %IF needs a semicolon and the data step command needs a semicolon.

The first semicolon ends the %IF statement.

The second semicolon ends the assignment="&i" statement in the data step.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

The %IF needs a semicolon and the data step command needs a semicolon.

The first semicolon ends the %IF statement.

The second semicolon ends the assignment="&i" statement in the data step.

--
Paige Miller
shawn123
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you so much, so If Marco's statement and data step statement are writing together I need to treat them as separate statements?
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@shawn123 wrote:
Thank you so much, so If Marco's statement and data step statement are writing together I need to treat them as separate statements?

It would help if I explained briefly how macro statements work.

When you write code with macro statements, and then run the code, the macro statement is resolved and replaced by non-macro code, which SAS then executes. So the part of your code (with one semicolon)

%if &i lt 5 %then assignment="&i";

is replaced by assignment="1" when &i=1 and this is not a complete SAS data step command, you have to have a semicolon at the end to complete the command.

A slightly superior way to write this is:

%if &i lt 5 %then assignment="&i"%str(;);

where the 

%str(;)

resolves to a semicolon and this is the semicolon that ends the assignment="1" statement; and will only appear when &i lt 5.

So when &i is less than 5, the macro statement resolves to assignment="1"; (with a semicolon on the end)

When &i is greater than or equal to 5, the macro statement does not create any SAS code. (If you did it the original way you wrote the program, when &i is greater than or equal to 5, a semicolon is produced ... essentially a blank statement ending with a semicolon, and while in this simple example it makes no difference, there are other cases where it might make a difference)

--
Paige Miller
mkeintz
PROC Star

If you reconstruct

%if &i lt 5 %then assignment="&i";;

as

%if &i lt 5 %then %str(assignment="&i";);

it might be a little more evident.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation