BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Sandeep77
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi all,

I am trying to find the data with 120A  but when I am using the where function I am getting the below error message. The AccountStatusKey_Current is Numeric type. Do I need to change the type to character? if so then how can I do it?

Proc sql;
create table Accountstatus as 
select AccountKey,
AccountStatusKey_Current,
AccountStatusKey_Previous,
Datekey
from DWHDW.fact_tx_AccountStatus
where AccountStatusKey_Current like '120A';
quit;

Error log:

29         Proc sql;
30         create table Accountstatus as
31         select AccountKey,
32         AccountStatusKey_Current,
33         AccountStatusKey_Previous,
34         Datekey
35         from DWHDW.fact_tx_AccountStatus
36         where AccountStatusKey_Current like '120A';
ERROR: LIKE operator requires character operands.
NOTE: PROC SQL set option NOEXEC and will continue to check the syntax of statements.
37         quit;
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
NOTE: PROCEDURE SQL used (Total process time):
      real time           0.09 seconds
      user cpu time       0.00 seconds
      system cpu time     0.00 seconds
      memory              5457.43k
      OS Memory           42680.00k
      Timestamp           02/27/2023 03:53:00 PM
      Step Count                        53  Switch Count  16

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

So this error

means that AccountStatusKey_Current is a numeric variable.  Hence the error message about needing a character operand.

Notice that if AccountStatusKey_Current is a number can never have the letter A as part of its value.  So it can never be equal to the string '120A'.  

Did you instead want to test if the the value as 120?  Do you have a format attached to that variable that makes it display strings that include the letter A?  If so you need to test for the actual value not the formatted value.  Or use the PUT() function to convert the number to the formatted value and then you can check if that formatted value looks like what you are looking for.

Plus if you are testing for a single value like 120 or '120A' you do not need to use LIKE. 

Instead just use = 

where AccountStatusKey_Current ='120A';
where AccountStatusKey_Current = 120;

Or if you have list of distinct values use IN 

where AccountStatusKey_Current in ('120A' '130B');
where AccountStatusKey_Current in (120 130) ;

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

AccountStatusKey_Current must be numeric, otherwise you would not get that message.

You can convert it to character with the PUT function, but don't bother, a number (if converted to character) cannot be like '120A'

which should always fail. You have, in addition to the syntax error, a logic error which you must fix first

--
Paige Miller
Sandeep77
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you but I did not get it. So should I use where AccountStatusKey_Current = '120A' instead of like? Also should I use the put statement in between my code?

Reeza
Super User
If AccountStatusKey_Current is numeric, it can never have the letter A in it.

So you need to verify your request as it will never be true. Is it the correct variable you're referencing?
Sandeep77
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Okay, I got it. Yes, my mistake. Actually it is just AccountStatusKey_Current  is120 and not 120A.

Sandeep77
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Even with 120 I am getting the same error message.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Sandeep77 wrote:
Even with 120 I am getting the same error message.

You have to convert the numeric variable AccountStatusKey_Current to character with the PUT function.

--
Paige Miller
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Sandeep77 wrote:

Thank you but I did not get it. So should I use where AccountStatusKey_Current = '120A' instead of like? Also should I use the put statement in between my code?

A number cannot be equal to '120A' either.

--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

So this error

means that AccountStatusKey_Current is a numeric variable.  Hence the error message about needing a character operand.

Notice that if AccountStatusKey_Current is a number can never have the letter A as part of its value.  So it can never be equal to the string '120A'.  

Did you instead want to test if the the value as 120?  Do you have a format attached to that variable that makes it display strings that include the letter A?  If so you need to test for the actual value not the formatted value.  Or use the PUT() function to convert the number to the formatted value and then you can check if that formatted value looks like what you are looking for.

Plus if you are testing for a single value like 120 or '120A' you do not need to use LIKE. 

Instead just use = 

where AccountStatusKey_Current ='120A';
where AccountStatusKey_Current = 120;

Or if you have list of distinct values use IN 

where AccountStatusKey_Current in ('120A' '130B');
where AccountStatusKey_Current in (120 130) ;

Sandeep77
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you Tom. I understood it now. I was making the mistake of using '120'.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation