BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Barkat
Pyrite | Level 9

I would like to include all the observations with %LA%, but I would like to avoid selecting %LAKE% and %LAND%. How can I do that?

I tried the following but it does not work

proc sql;
create want as
select *  from have
where
city like  '%L.A%' or city like '%LOS%'
and city not like '%LAKE%' and city not like '%LAN%' 
order by city;
quit;

5 REPLIES 5
mkeintz
PROC Star

Isn't this a matter of properly nesting the logical conditions?  Something like  (put intended):

where
(city like  '%L.A%'  and city not like '%LAKE%' and city not like '%LAN')

or

city like '%LOS%'

BTW, you apparently typed (rather the cut and pasted) your code, since you had "create want" instead of "create table want".

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

Barkat
Pyrite | Level 9
Here I pasted the original statement. It is not working though

proc sql;
create table bll_18_15ct as
select *
from bll_18
where
(city like '%L.A%' and city not like '%LAKE%' and city not like '%LAN%')or
city like '%COMPTO%' or city like '%LA%' or city like '%LOS%'
or city like '%BEL%' or city like '%COM%' or city like '%LYN%' or city like '%GAT%'
or city like '%WALN%' or city like '%CUD%' or city like '%MAY%' or city like '%VERN%' or city like '%VARN%'
or city like '%HUNT%' or city like '%WILL%' or city like '%DOM%' or city like '%FLO%'
order by city;
quit;
mkeintz
PROC Star

You apparently didn't consistently apply my comment  about nesting. You are using an extra or city like '%LA%' (in bold italics below)

(city like '%L.A%' and city not like '%LAKE%' and city not like '%LAN%')or
city like '%COMPTO%' or city like '%LA%' or city like '%LOS%'
or city like '%BEL%' or city like '%COM%' or city like '%LYN%' or city like '%GAT%'
or city like '%WALN%' or city like '%CUD%' or city like '%MAY%' or city like '%VERN%' or city like '%VARN%'
or city like '%HUNT%' or city like '%WILL%' or city like '%DOM%' or city like '%FLO%'

The condition totally defeats all  the "not like" conditions.

This is a general programming issue - it isn't a programming problem unique to SAS.

And BTW, "not working" is next to a useless description.  Let us know what you expected vs.what you actually produced.  Help us help you.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Just exchange %L A% and %LA%

(city like '%LA%' and city not like '%LAKE%' and city not like '%LAN%')
or city like '%COMPTO%' or city like '%L A%' or city like '%LOS%'

PG
Ksharp
Super User
Use sub-query .

proc sql;
create want as
select * from
(
select * from have where city not like '%LAKE%' and city not like '%LAN%'
)
where city like '%L.A%' or city like '%LOS%'
order by city;
quit;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation