BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
potato
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I am stuck on level 1 practise and can not figure out how to solve it.  This is the code that should be correct, but I still get the following errors. ( ERROR: Physical file does not exist, /pbr/biconfig/940/Lev1/SASApp/home/userid/EPG194/data//eu_sport_trade. ) and (ERROR: File WORK.EU_SPORT_TRADE.DATA does not exist. )

proc import datafile="home/userid/EPG194/data/eu_sport_trade.xlsx"
dbms=xlsx
out=eu_sport_trade
replace;
run;

proc contents data=eu_sport_trade;
run;

7 REPLIES 7
Jagadishkatam
Amethyst | Level 16
did you try to use the full path of the file like

/pbr/biconfig/940/Lev1/SASApp/home/userid/EPG194/data//eu_sport_trade.xlsx
Thanks,
Jag
potato
Calcite | Level 5

I tried the code and got the following errors again.  ERROR: Physical file does not exist, /pbr/biconfig/940/Lev1/SASApp/home/userid/EPG194/data///eu_sport_trade

ERROR: File WORK.EU_SPORT_TRADE.DATA does not exist.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

On UNIX, use absolute path names starting at the root directory. You missed to use a forward slash at the beginning of your file name:

"/home/userid/EPG194/data/eu_sport_trade.xlsx"
pjbyrne92
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I used the below code, whereby it gave me the same 2 errors as you upon initially running, but then I highlighted the whole code and clicked "format code", ran it again and it worked!

proc import
datafile="/home/u50224767/EPG194/activities/data/eu_sport_trade.xlsx"
dbms=xlsx out=eu_sport_trade replace;
run;

proc contents data=eu_sport_trade;
run;

Akhil123
Calcite | Level 5
How many variables are in the eu_sport_trade table?
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

I believe that you have the wrong path. If you are starting with the home folder, you need a leading slash also, you MUST put YOUR UserID into the path (not the string "userid":

/home/<yourUserID>/EPG194/data/eu_sport_trade.xlsx

So, if your UserID is u1234567, and you have instructions to use the class folder EPG194, then the path would be:

/home/u1234567/EPG194/data/eu_sport_trade.xlsx

Or, if your user id is u9876543 and you are taking the most current version of the class with a folder of EPG1V2, then the path would be:

/home/u9876543/EPG1V2/data/eu_sport_trade.xlsx

The bottom line is that there is a never-fail method for finding the correct path to use. Right-click on Files (Home) top node in the Server Files and Folders path and choose Properties. In the Location field on the Properties window, you'll see that full and correct path. Next click to see the Properties on your course data subfolder and you'll see THAT full and correct path. Finally, expand the data subfolder and look for the XLSX file. Right click and choose Properties to see the full and correct path for the XLSX file. The nice thing about this method is that you can highlight the correct path in the Location field of the Properties window and just copy and paste the path into the code location where you need it.

Cynthia

Alexo2025
Fluorite | Level 6

Great thanks for the solution. It helps me also!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 7 in conversation