BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Chrysanthus
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello all,

I am running SAS University Edition on VirtualBox. I tried importing data through the wizard and of the 19798 rows of my data only 100 were imported into my work folder. How do I get all of my data in there to continue working.

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
Did you set up the shared myfolders during the setup?
If so try importing with this path:

proc import out=X datafile = "/folders/myfolders/Test.xlsx' dbms=xlsx replace; run;

SAS UE does not see your C drive, it's only connected to the folder you set up as a shared folder, the myfolders folder.

FYI - your file was never read, there are not 100 records read if the file was not found.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

There are probably a number of things that could have gone wrong, but you haven't really given enough information to suggest or eliminate any of them.  You might have told it to use the wrong type of import for the type of file you had.

What type of file are trying to import?

In general you don't need to use the SAS/Studio interface to import data as regular SAS code can normally do the job.  Just make sure the file you want to read is placed in the folder on your real machine that you shared with the virtual machine so that the SAS code can see it. 

Chrysanthus
Fluorite | Level 6
I have tried using the code, this is what I get in the log.
Please note that this is the folder shared with VirtualBox.

1 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
73 PROC IMPORT OUT=X DATAFILE= "C:\Users\00073\Desktop\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\Test.xlsx"
74 DBMS=xlsx REPLACE;
75 SHEET="Sheet1";
76 GETNAMES=YES;
77 RUN;

ERROR: Physical file does not exist,
/opt/sasinside/SASConfig/Lev1/SASApp/C:\Users\00073\Desktop\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\/Test.
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
NOTE: PROCEDURE IMPORT used (Total process time):
real time 0.01 seconds
cpu time 0.00 seconds

78 QUit;
80 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
Reeza
Super User
Did you set up the shared myfolders during the setup?
If so try importing with this path:

proc import out=X datafile = "/folders/myfolders/Test.xlsx' dbms=xlsx replace; run;

SAS UE does not see your C drive, it's only connected to the folder you set up as a shared folder, the myfolders folder.

FYI - your file was never read, there are not 100 records read if the file was not found.
Chrysanthus
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you very much it worked. Below is my log;

1 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
73 proc import out=X datafile = "/folders/myfolders/Test.xlsx"
74 dbms=xlsx replace;
75 run;

NOTE: One or more variables were converted because the data type is not supported by the V9 engine. For more details, run with
options MSGLEVEL=I.
NOTE: The import data set has 1797 observations and 13 variables.
NOTE: WORK.X data set was successfully created.
NOTE: PROCEDURE IMPORT used (Total process time):
real time 0.91 seconds
cpu time 0.89 seconds

76 Quit;
78 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;

I got 100 records when I used the import wizard because the code was giving me the "physical file does not exist" error. It happens as other users suggested that it was just the first page of records out of many I was looking at.
The import wizard does work and brings in all of my data.
Thank you very much again.
Reeza
Super User

What makes you think the import was wrong?

Show the code you used and your log please.

Note that in SAS Studio 100 is the number of observations that the viewer shows you by default, you click the little arrow to move to the next set of observations. 

To see the number of total observations, check the Total Rows statistics on the top of the viewer.

@Chrysanthus wrote:

Hello all,

I am running SAS University Edition on VirtualBox. I tried importing data through the wizard and of the 19798 rows of my data only 100 were imported into my work folder. How do I get all of my data in there to continue working.

Best regards

ballardw
Super User

@Chrysanthus wrote:

Hello all,

Best regards

Were there any comments or notes in the log?

One that can occur with varying length lines of data is something like:

NOTE: SAS went to a new line when INPUT statement reached past the end of a line.

Best would be to repeat the process and then look at the Log, copy the text from the log for the entire step, generated code if any and all notes. The paste into a text box opened on the forum with the </> icon.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation