BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
farshidhss
Calcite | Level 5

Hello!

I have a very simple CSV file:

id,date

1,01-08-2018

2,03-08-2018

The problem is when I import the CSV file via the "Add data source" option in Visual Analytics then the date column is always detected as a "char".

I have a few requirements that makes it impossible for me to manipulate the data after import:

1. I need the data to be imported automatically via a scheduled job.

2. I don't want to use Parse to convert the char to a date type because the size of the data is very large and I don't want the report to get slowed down by Parse when a user interacts with it.

I have full control on exporting the csv contents so I can at least change the date format written inside the CSV file. I tried to change the date to many different formats and I repeated the import process but the end result is always a char data type instead of date type. Do you have any idea how to import this CSV file so that the date is correctly detected?

I'm using Visual Analytics 8.3.1 if that matters. 

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Use a data plan to convert the data as it's loaded, or part of the 'scheduled job' to load data can often include a transformation. 

If you're using a scheduled job, sounds like a server though, so why not have VA connect directly to the server instead which should import the data correctly?

@farshidhss wrote:

Hello!

I have a very simple CSV file:

id,date

1,01-08-2018

2,03-08-2018

The problem is when I import the CSV file via the "Add data source" option in Visual Analytics then the date column is always detected as a "char".

I have a few requirements that makes it impossible for me to manipulate the data after import:

1. I need the data to be imported automatically via a scheduled job.

2. I don't want to use Parse to convert the char to a date type because the size of the data is very large and I don't want the report to get slowed down by Parse when a user interacts with it.

I have full control on exporting the csv contents so I can at least change the date format written inside the CSV file. I tried to change the date to many different formats and I repeated the import process but the end result is always a char data type instead of date type. Do you have any idea how to import this CSV file so that the date is correctly detected?

I'm using Visual Analytics 8.3.1 if that matters. 

farshidhss
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for your reply. How do we transform data at the same time as the import? I can't seem to find any information on that. I did find that you can create a data plan job to transform data and write into another sas table but don't know how to add the data import to the same job.

Yes we do have a VA server, and we would love to connect it directly to our backend but I don't know how this can be done. We use Java spring in the backend.
Aiman
Fluorite | Level 6
Hi I encounter the same issues as yours, have you solve it? Mind to share on how you tackle the issue. Thank you

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation