BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Bluejags
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi @PaigeMiller ,

The data is form a larger data set. The first column is the PT_ID.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Bluejags wrote:

Hi @PaigeMiller ,

The data is form a larger data set. The first column is the PT_ID.

No, the first column of your data is NOT the patient ID. If it were, then no patient ever had a second procedure. We need to have data and explanation match before we can help further.

--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User
Show what tables you want in the end and we'll help you get there with your current or appropriate data structure.

Bluejags
Obsidian | Level 7

@Reeza  This is how the table should look:

Table of CONDX by CONDX2

CONDX(CONDX)-

First procedure

CONDX2(CONDX2) –Second procedure

Frequency

ASD

Echo only

MI/BYPASS

MI/PERC

ToF

VALVE

VSD

Total

MI/BYPASS

MI/PERC

PDA

TGA

ToF

VALVE

VSD

Total

Reeza
Super User
Are you sure you want that picture? Why do you have Frequency labelled above a column that isn't a count? Where do the headers for the columns come from?
Bluejags
Obsidian | Level 7

@Reeza , I need to get the frequency table (as given from you) derived form the earlier data, where we need to create the columns having proc1 and proc2. The dummy data set is what I had posted earlier.

Thanks.

Reeza
Super User
So the code I posted doesn't answer your question? Did you run it and check the WIDE data set?
If it doesn't please explain in detail how it does not.
Bluejags
Obsidian | Level 7

@Reeza that works perfectly with the dummy data set.  I will try with the full data set and keep you posted.

Thanks.

Reeza
Super User

Makes your fake data - in the future please provide this step similar as shown.

I was too lazy to fix the data structure that gets messed up when copy/paste so went with it. You should not need this step in your process.

data have;
informat ID $8. date mmddyy10. procedure $20. gender $1. Counter 8.;
input
ID
/Date
/Procedure
/gender
/Counter

;
cards; 

08/01/2003

MI/BYPASS

F

08/01/2003

MI/PERC

F

12/03/2003

MI/PERC

F

12/03/2003

MI/BYPASS

F

08/01/2003

MI/PERC

F

08/02/2003

MI/BYPASS

M

08/02/2003

MI/PERC

M

08/04/2003

MI/BYPASS

F

08/04/2003

VALVE

F

08/05/2003

MI/PERC

F

08/04/2003

MI/BYPASS

F

08/04/2003

MI/PERC

F

08/04/2003

MI/PERC

F

08/06/2003

MI/BYPASS

M

08/06/2003

MI/PERC

M

08/06/2003

MI/PERC

F

;;;;

Here's the analysis part.

*sort;
proc sort data=have;
by id date gender;
run;

*transpose to appropriate structure;
proc transpose data=have out=wide prefix=proc;
by id date gender;
id counter;
var procedure;
run;

*summarize;
proc freq data=wide;
table proc1*proc2 / nopercent norow nocol sparse missing;
run;

And here's the output based on your input data:

Reeza_0-1638995580796.png

Bluejags
Obsidian | Level 7

@Reeza Worked like Charm, on the big data too.  Thanks, again.  I greatly appreciate your time and effort. How do i improve my sas skills? what kind of analytical  thinking is needed?

Also thanks to @PaigeMiller and @Astounding  who had responded.  Each one of you have given me a better insight. Thanks.

Reeza
Super User

In this particular case, this is an exact example of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_problem

My process for all problems (not just coding), what do I have, what do I want, and what's the limitations on getting there. Also note your assumptions clearly - ie only one ID per record and ensure you verify them. Then you can start to problem solve it. 

For programming, this means showing what my input data is, what output I need, then I try and break it down into steps for each using pseudocode. Once I understand the problem and can pseudocode it then I start actually coding. Coding in my last step in solving a problem. After 15+ years I don't need  to do that for most of the problems here.

And some of it is just experience and my luck in having a very good memory. 

Good Luck!

Bluejags
Obsidian | Level 7

@Reeza . You showed the easy way. Can we achieve the same results by Array/Proc summary?  I ask this as these has procedures have been alternative method for transposing data.

Thanks.

Reeza
Super User

I think PROC SUMMARY is an option but I don't think arrays are good here. Depending on how far much you wanted to do with the arrays. You would need to know all the different combinations and dimensions ahead of time for the array method and I prefer more dynamic coding that's flexible to change as your data changes. 

@Tom is the PROC SUMMARY expert so he can probably comment on that approach better than I can. It may still require the data transposition though. 

@Bluejags wrote:

@Reeza . You showed the easy way. Can we achieve the same results by Array/Proc summary?  I ask this as these has procedures have been alternative method for transposing data.

Thanks.

Astounding
PROC Star
You can separate the patients into two groups without COUNTER:

data just1 multiple;
set have;
by id date;
if first.date and last.date then output just1;
else output multiple;
run;
Bluejags
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi @Astounding,

Your code works but generates 2 different data set. I need the data in the same data set  file as new variables. I need to do proc freq/proc tabulate with the new data set.

Thanks

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation