BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
abaker_ca
Calcite | Level 5

I have a simple problem that I can solve in R easily but just can't figure out how to solve in SAS.

I have a data set where there are numerous diagnostic results concatenated into one long string for each target being identified by the assay. 

I simply want to identify subjects that are positive for more than one target. 

Here is an example data set.

data test;
input subject_id $1-8
result $11 - 33;
datalines;
ABCD0001 A POS B POS C NEG D NEG
ABCD0002 A POS B NEG C NEG D NEG
ABCD0003 A NEG B NEG C NEG D NEG
ABCD0004 A POS B NEG C POS D NEG
;
run;

Ideally, I'd write code that would return this data set with a flag for subjects ABCD0001 and ABCD0004 because they are positive for more than one target in the 'result' variable. 

Thanks for anyone's help!

5 REPLIES 5
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @abaker_ca and welcome to the SAS Support Communities!

You can use the COUNT function to count the number of "POS" substrings in variable RESULT:

data want;
set test;
flag=count(result,'POS','i')>1;
run;

The optional 'i' modifier makes the search case-insensitive so that "pos", "Pos", etc. would be counted as well. The numeric variable FLAG will contain the value 1 or 0 if the inequality count(...)>1 is true or false, respectively.

Ksharp
Super User

To avoid this kind of scenario :

ABCD0001 APOSA POS BNEGB POS C NEG D NEG

You could try this one :

data test;
input subject_id $ result $20.;
datalines;
ABCD0001 A POS B POS C NEG D NEG
ABCD0002 A POS B NEG C NEG D NEG
ABCD0003 A NEG B NEG C NEG D NEG
ABCD0004 A POS B NEG C POS D NEG
;
run;
data want;
 set test; 
 if findw(result,'POS',' ') ne findw(result,'POS',' ','b') then flag='Y';
run;
Astounding
PROC Star
Could the actual target names include the letters "POS"? For example, could any of these words appear in a target name?

POSE
POSTERIOR
SUPPOSE
abaker_ca
Calcite | Level 5

It's unlikely they would. For the most part the string in this variable would be a disease target followed by the pos/neg call for the target (e.g. "Flu A POS"). 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Count the occurrences of ' POS '.  You might need to append a space to the string if there is a value that completely fills the variable.

data want;
  set test;
  n_positive = count(result||' ',' POS ');
run;

Note that COUNT() has an optional third argument you can use to make the string comparisons case insensitive.

n_positive = count(result||' ',' POS ','i');

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation