BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
hjjijkkl
Pyrite | Level 9

I have a big data and I want subjects with test result <50 and to include subjects if the test result <150 one time only during their testing period. If the test result is <150 2x or more then the subject will not be need. For example, ID – 4 has 1st test <50 but 2 test results <150 so the subject will not be need. How can I get those that have test<50 or test<150 one time only?

ID

test

This is how the output would look like

ID

test

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LeonCathay
SAS Employee

The following code may be helpful. It generates the result you want.

proc sql;
  create table WANT as
  select * 
  from HAVE
  where id not in( 
    select unique(id) 
    from HAVE
    where test>50
    group by ID
    having count(*) > 1
  );
quit;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mkeintz
PROC Star

You need to read the obs for each id twice:

1. the first time to count then numbers of tests from 51 through 150, and over 150 (no need to count those <=50).
  2. with these counts in hand, reread the id and output if those counts satisfy your criteria

BTW, given that you are keeping ID 1 (values 50, 45, 78) I presume you meant <=50  (not <50), since you would other have two values that are not <50.  I also changed to <=150 (not <150).

data have;
  input ID test;
datalines;
1 50
1 45
1 78
2 34
2 26
3 67
4 22
4 120
4 69
run;
data want (drop=_:);
  do until (last.id);
    set have;
    by id;
    if (51<=test<=150) then _n_51to150=sum(_n_51to150,1); else
    if test>150        then _n_over150=sum(_n_over150,1);
  end;
  do until (last.id);
    set have;
    by id;
    if (_n_over150=.) and (_n_51to150<=1) then output;
  end;
run;
--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

@hjjijkkl wrote:

I have a big data and I want subjects with test result <50 and to include subjects if the test result <150 one time only during their testing period. If the test result is <150 2x or more then the subject will not be need. For example, ID – 4 has 1st test <50 but 2 test results <150 so the subject will not be need. How can I get those that have test<50 or test<150 one time only?

ID

test

This is how the output would look like

ID

test

Sorry, but the logic you want doesn't make any sense at all. If a value is smaller than 50 it is smaller than 150, too.

Are there more variables in the dataset or just "ID" and "test"?

LeonCathay
SAS Employee

The following code may be helpful. It generates the result you want.

proc sql;
  create table WANT as
  select * 
  from HAVE
  where id not in( 
    select unique(id) 
    from HAVE
    where test>50
    group by ID
    having count(*) > 1
  );
quit;

mkeintz
PROC Star

This solution assumes that values over 150 are not possible.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation