BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
d6k5d3
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello everyone!

I would really appreciate the help!

I am trying to make SAS read data from an imported file (.csv) having a column GMT_Time, and it appears as (for example): 13.03.2007 00:00:00.000. 

I have seen the log file. If I set getnames = yes, the cells in column is read (informat) as ddmmyy10., and formatted as ddmmyy10.! However, if I set getnames=no, the cells are read (informat) as VAR1 $23. and formatted as VAR1 $23.. Neither serves my purpose.

I want SAS to format them in a datetime format so that later I can perform date and time related calculations on SAS. I cannot figure out how to solve this?

Would you please tell me what should be my informat, format and input statements be? I would copy the code from log after PROC IMPORT.

Much thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
d6k5d3
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you very much for the pieces of code. I do not know why I was getting error. However, using the same knowledge I later managed to get the desired outcome. My codes are the following:

Data Huf; 
set Huf1;
 DT=DHMS(Input(Scan(Gmt_time,1,''),DDMMYY10.),Scan(Scan(Gmt_time,2,''),1,':'),Scan(Scan(Gmt_time,2,''),2,':'),Scan(Scan(Gmt_time,2,''),3,':'));
  Format DT DateTime19.;
run;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

This conversion method would work:

data _null_;
dtStr = "13.03.2007 00:00:00.000";
substr(dtStr,3,1) = "-";
substr(dtStr,6,1) = "-";
dt = input(dtStr, anydtdtm23.);
format dt datetime23.;
put _all_;
run;

it replaces the periods in the date with hyphens and uses the anydtdtm. informat.

PG
d6k5d3
Pyrite | Level 9

PG, thank you very much for your reply.

I have more than a million rows of data, and I wanted to import and format the variables by copying from the log file after PROC IMPORT. Is there a way to do the same thing just by altering some codes from the following log file:

data WORK.HUF1 ;
%let _EFIERR_ = 0; /* set the ERROR detection macro variable */
infile 'C:\Users\Deepan\OneDrive\xyz.csv' delimiter = ',' MISSOVER DSD lrecl=32767 firstobs=2 ;
informat Gmt_time informat. ;

format Gmt_time informat. ;

input Gmt_time;

if _ERROR_ then call symputx('_EFIERR_',1); /* set ERROR detection macro variable */
run;

I wholeheartedly appreciate your time.

Much thanks.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Use an intermediate variable:

informat _gmt_time $23.;
format gmt_time e8601dt23.3;
input _gmt_time;
gmt_time = dhms(input(scan(_gmt_time,1),ddmmyy10.),0,0,input(scan(_gmt_time,2)time12.3));
drop _gmt_time;
d6k5d3
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you very much for the pieces of code. I do not know why I was getting error. However, using the same knowledge I later managed to get the desired outcome. My codes are the following:

Data Huf; 
set Huf1;
 DT=DHMS(Input(Scan(Gmt_time,1,''),DDMMYY10.),Scan(Scan(Gmt_time,2,''),1,':'),Scan(Scan(Gmt_time,2,''),2,':'),Scan(Scan(Gmt_time,2,''),3,':'));
  Format DT DateTime19.;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation