BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sasnewbie5
Fluorite | Level 6

I have two separate datasets that I want to merge into one new data set. One dataset has the variables "name" and "employee id". The other has variables "salary" and "ID". I need to combine the two data sets and only list the "name" and "salary" variables in the new data set. How would I do that? The code I have so far lists all of the variables in both datasets and I'm not quite sure how to specify only the ones that I want. 

*Of note, in the first dataset, it's called "EmpID" and in the second it's called "ID". 

Any and all help is welcomed! Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20
data one;
input name $ empid $;
cards;
nelson 254
mitchell 362
perez 910
carter 935
;
data two;
input salary  id $;
cards;
103100 254
100200 362
73500 910
88400 935
;

data want;
merge one two;
keep name salary;
run;

NOTES:

1. The above assumes you really are after a one to one merge and the records in both datasets matches rather having to do an inner join

2. Both datasets have the same number of obs.  

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Since there is no example data and going with your question, it appears all you need is rename one of your id as the other id name and keep only the variables your want

sasnewbie5
Fluorite | Level 6

I don't follow. The code I have is as follows:

/*******/

data Dept1;
set hw8.dept1names;
set hw8.dept1salaries;
run;

/******/

Since I haven't specified any variables, how would I rename it? I'd prefer not to adjust any of the actual dataset content.

Also, I have the two datasets that I'm referring to but I'm not sure if I can upload them to this thread or not. As you can probably tell, I'm very new to SAS and the SAS community.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Can you plz post a sample of your two datasets and your expected output. A small sample with 5 records or so will help. Thank you

Then you tell us your constraints/rules 

sasnewbie5
Fluorite | Level 6

I have attached a screenshot of the two datasets to this thread.

Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 1.00.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-10 at 1.00.14 PM.png

The expected output is to use one-to-one merging to combine the two datasets and then list just the name and salary in the newly created dataset.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20
data one;
input name $ empid $;
cards;
nelson 254
mitchell 362
perez 910
carter 935
;
data two;
input salary  id $;
cards;
103100 254
100200 362
73500 910
88400 935
;

data want;
merge one two;
keep name salary;
run;

NOTES:

1. The above assumes you really are after a one to one merge and the records in both datasets matches rather having to do an inner join

2. Both datasets have the same number of obs.  

Reeza
Super User
You need to join by ID, joining by record assumes order which I strongly suspect is not correct.
sasnewbie5
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Reeza! Is using SQL queries the only way to do an inner join in SAS? So far that's all I've found for creating an inner join.

sasnewbie5
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you! You mentioned inner joins. All of the examples I've found online are showing it using only SQL statements. Is that the only way to address what you mentioned?

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

I am glad, now you are talking and I am glad I mentioned my assumptions in those 2 points It;s safe to do the inner join and since you have different var names for id's, use sql like

proc sql;
create table want as
select name,salary
from one , two 
where empid=id;
quit;

Basically, you can avoid rename and sort with sql joins as opposed to datastep merge, and since it's a one to one, it's straight forward 

sasnewbie5
Fluorite | Level 6

Got it, thanks so much for the clarification!

Reeza
Super User

@sasnewbie5 wrote:

Thank you! You mentioned inner joins. All of the examples I've found online are showing it using only SQL statements. Is that the only way to address what you mentioned?

data want;
merge one (in=a) two (in=b rename=(id=empid)) ;
by empid;

if a and b;

keep name salary;
run;
sasnewbie5
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you so much Reeza!

Reeza
Super User
A screenshot means someone needs to type out your data to work with it.
Instructions on posting your data set is here:
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat...
Reeza
Super User

See the different examples of merges in the documentation and find the one closes to your situation. Pretty sure it's covered here:
https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=lestmtsref&docsetTarget=n1i8w2bwu1fn5kn1gpxj18xttbb0.htm&doc...

@sasnewbie5 wrote:

I don't follow. The code I have is as follows:

/*******/

data Dept1;
set hw8.dept1names;
set hw8.dept1salaries;
run;

/******/

Since I haven't specified any variables, how would I rename it? I'd prefer not to adjust any of the actual dataset content.

Also, I have the two datasets that I'm referring to but I'm not sure if I can upload them to this thread or not. As you can probably tell, I'm very new to SAS and the SAS community.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation