BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
InspectahDex
Obsidian | Level 7

I have four original datasets:

Dataset A, B, C, D

I also have a final dataset that combines various elements from those four that I'll call FinalDataset.

There is a variable in all four original datasets and my FinalDataset that is called NPI.

I want to write to a new variable in my FinalDataset called "NPIfound" if the NPI value in the FinalDataset is also found in one of the original datasets.

In other words, If datasetA.NPI = finaldataset.NPI, then output the value "datasetA" to NPIfound.

If that same NPI value is also found in datasetB then I want it to add to NPIfound so that it says "datasetA, datasetB" in the FinalDataset.

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User
Did you merge the data sets together using a data step merge or a different method? If you used a merge it's trivial to add that in using the IN option.
InspectahDex
Obsidian | Level 7

I merged the datasets together using a data step merge. Why is it trivial to add that variable in using a IN option? Sorry, I'm new.

Astounding
PROC Star

Here's a simple way.  Assuming all your data sets are already sorted by NPI:

data FinalDataset;
   merge a (in=from_a) b (in=from_b) c (in=from_c) d (in=from_d);
   by NPI;
   NPIfound = cats(from_a, from_b, from_c, from_d);
run;

By choosing the simple route, you don't get exactly what you asked for.  Instead,  you get a series of 0's and 1's.  For example:

1010 represents found in A, not found in B, found in C, not found in D.

0001 represents found in D only.

Adding to the complexity by adjusting the program is again relatively easy, but this version might be easier to work with.

Learning about MERGE and in= variables is a basic tool you will use often.  It is worth the time to learn.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation