BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
igibson246
Fluorite | Level 6

I cannot get SAS Enterprise Guide 8.2 to create a log when I run programs.

I have:

1) turned on the log in the Project window>Project Log

2) turned on the log in Tools>Options>Application Logging

3) tuned on the log by right clicking the name of my project in the Project window>Properties>Project log

but none of these solutions works. I still get no useful log information. Only output similar to the below appears in my log whenever I run programs:

Project Log turned on at 11/16/2020 at 1:40:21 PM

Log for "p301a03.sas" run at 11/16/2020 1:44:49 PM on Local

Top of Step - Iteration #1

Top of Step - Iteration #2

Top of Step - Iteration #3

Top of Step - Iteration #4

Top of Step - Iteration #5

Top of Step - Iteration #6

Top of Step - Iteration #7

Top of Step - Iteration #8

Top of Step - Iteration #9

Top of Step - Iteration #10

Top of Step - Iteration #11

Top of Step - Iteration #12

Top of Step - Iteration #13

Top of Step - Iteration #14

Top of Step - Iteration #15

Top of Step - Iteration #16

Top of Step - Iteration #17

Top of Step - Iteration #18

Top of Step - Iteration #19

How do I turn on the log so that it creates output that is actually useful? The current output has no portion of my program, no notes, and no comments. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Next things I would check:

• Enterprise Guide has settings for code to be sent when a workspace server connection is initiated, and settings for code to be sent before any task and code execution
  • See if there's an autoexec.sas in your home directory on the workspace server (Files in the navigation pane of the server list)
  • Talk to your SAS admins if they did a global setting for the workspace server

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
igibson246
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks - I checked and neither of these options is in the program. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Next things I would check:

• Enterprise Guide has settings for code to be sent when a workspace server connection is initiated, and settings for code to be sent before any task and code execution
  • See if there's an autoexec.sas in your home directory on the workspace server (Files in the navigation pane of the server list)
  • Talk to your SAS admins if they did a global setting for the workspace server
igibson246
Fluorite | Level 6

This was it! There was an autoexec file from a previous workstream that had the NONOTES option. Once this was fixed, the log output properly.

Thank you so much! 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Application logging is for EG itself, not for the SAS programs you run in EG. You normally only switch this on when diagnosing problems with EG.

Does the LOG EG tab for any program contain all source statements, notes, warnings and errors?

igibson246
Fluorite | Level 6

The log tab doesn't include any source statements or notes at all.

The log only includes warnings and errors (if any) as a single line, instead of within the working code (i.e. the log looks nothing like base SAS log).

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@igibson246  - Then try adding: options source notes; at the start of the program. Does that add both source statements and notes to your SAS log tab after re-running?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation